Why am I disappointed with Trimble and SU 2019 pricing?

For years it has been an annual update for Pro users at a price of US 120. With that you have had updated SU Pro with LayOut, Style Builder (I never use) and access to Extension Warehouse with .rbz plugins.
Now to maintain this status I understand that I have to pay 299.-/pa This is an increase, which for me, as retired, goes beyond budget. So I will stick to SU Pro 2018 which is mature enough for years to come!

3 Likes

No, you can stick with Classic for the same $120/yr.

1 Like

With LayOut and access to Extension warehouse?

Yes. With LayOut and Extension Warehouse.

If your Maintenance and Support are up to date, you can continue with the Classic license. No difference from what you’ve been doing except you’ll have the latest version of SketchUp/LayOut. And next year you can continue on with the Classic license.

For some strange reason, a lot of people are just ignoring the fact that the licensing they’ve been used to still exists. It hasn’t be replaced with the Subscription option. The subscription is an additional way to get into a SketchUp license and for some users will make more sense that the Classic license.

1 Like

have a look at this chart…

john

Thank you ntxdave and DaveR. Good that you have clarified this .
The pricing plan made me think that these features were only available for 299.-

I wouldn’t say the reason is “strange”. To me the reason is clear: It’s not prominent on the web page - you have to click on the “Classic” link. And since it’s the first use of “Classic”, it doesn’t, to my mind, convey ANY idea that what that referring to is the non-subscription licensing model!

6 Likes

Spotting the classic license link isn’t easy, and then when you get to this page:

https://www.sketchup.com/products/pro-classic

the product name implies that it’s not SketchUp Pro.

5 Likes

The devil is in the details, I find that I have to spend extra time on pages to CATCH the fine print.

I confess that I fell into this same assumption at first. It could be that some of us don’t pay enough attention. Or it could be that the option wasn’t made clear enough in the first place. Quite a few people posting here do seem to have been confused.

2 Likes

hello, if I decide not to renew my maintenance & support for now (as it has been useless this past year considering the fact that there was no update, and that the 2019 version doesn’t convince me), will I be able to upgrade my sketchup 2018 pro ‘classic’ directly to 2020 version next year ?

You would have to pay an additional fee, and then ‘skip a version’

1 Like

thank you for your answer !

To be absolutely sure: better request an answer from a SU-team member. Who knows if there will be a classic next year and/or possibilities to re-sub to classic.

If they know, they won’t tell…

1 Like
1 Like

So, do we have to go with the subscriptions to get all of the updates / new features? It seems like Sketch Up Classic aka Sketch Up Pro 2019 stand alone license does not come with AR/VR capability.

It makes sense that SketchUp Classic (aka SketchUp Pro 2019 standalone) has no VR or AR capability, since the AR/VR capability exists in the SketchUp Viewer app, not SketchUp itself.

For AR, you can get the freemium app separately and pay $10/year for the AR features through an in-app purchase.

For AR and VR, you need one of the subscription packages that offers both.

Cant agree more pietpa48 and I will do the same. I love Sketchup to death but there hasn’t been any substantial technological advances since @Last Software released it in my opinion. It does everything I need it to do except work on large files. When they can figure that out I will pay the increase. The only technology that Trimble has essentially added is how to bill more efficiently for essentially the same software.

5 Likes

IMHO it is a great pity SU never went down the Open Source route as at least it may have then had a real chance of enjoying the development input it deserves and we wouldn’t need to constantly gripe about license costs and features or the lack of. Open source has certainly worked for Blender, Inkscape, Gimp, Libre Office etc. Truly successfully in some instances. As we all know businesses have to look to the bottom line on everything, cash-cow buck generators for their shareholders etc. As long as the products are still being bought by an often all too loyal userbase why pour loads of dosh into expensive development. Dangle the carrot of better times ahead to keep appetites wetted and the revenue churning over would be the cynical take. So until real and worthwhile upgrades manifest themselves it makes total sense to stick with that earlier version of software you have and works for you.