When I draw a square, the back is facing upward. Can't you make the front face up?

When I draw a square, the back is facing upward. Can’t I make the front face up?

Yes it has been that way from the beginning and has only been changed in the most recent version 2021.
So as you are using 17 that is the way it works. When you pull up it will change.
If you want the front up, right click and choose Reverse Face.

3 Likes

Way back in the original design of SketchUp it was thought that when someone draws a face on the z=0 plane they are likely going to pushpull that face upward to create a solid. At that point, to be consistent with the other faces of the solid, the original would need to have its front side downward and its back side upward. But, as visible in your image, the same thinking did not apply to a face drawn away from z=0. The inconsistency has confused many SketchUp newbies over the years. As @Box noted, this behavior was changed in 2021.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your kind reply!!! :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

Thank you so much for your kind reply!!! :grinning: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

What sort of things are you modeling in SketchUp? It may not matter that the back face is up depending on your next steps. Maybe nothing to really worry about.

1 Like

Recently, I am learning to make desks, chairs, and beds. I thought something was wrong. But, like you said, it’s not a problem. Thank you! :grin:

Right. the very next step after you draw the rectangle for the foot of the desk leg will be to pull it up with Push/Pull. Then the back face is already where you need it to be.

Are you a hobbyist woodworker or furniture maker?

1 Like

Thank you for your interest and kind explanation. I started learning sketchups to create a background for webtoons.In fact, I don’t know much about furniture. :sweat_smile: