What's your favorite device?

I think we disagree there, my friend. I had never touched a 3D mouse, I’ve never even gamed or anything like that, and it took me a day and a half to get used to the motion. By that second day I was navigating much more quickly, fluidly, effectively than I ever was able to before.

1 Like

The lack of spacemouse support is the most significant obstruction to me adopting Sketchup free. I’d rather drag a laptop and spacemouse around than work in Free without it.

2 Likes

For someone who has rarely modeled more than 2 hours/day, 2 full days is (to quote myself) “… lots of practice …”!

1 Like

Point taken. I don’t consider myself near the top of the list as far as how much time I spend in SketchUp, but it has been my only means of income at certain times, so definitely more than two hours a day.

I already liked your post, but this echoes my sentiments so exactly that I just had to quote and respond. I have several hobbies that involve the use of computers, but I have never fallen so completely in love with or been so awed by the effectiveness of any peripheral or piece of gear, as I have with the SpaceMouse.

1 Like

And yet I didn’t put it on top of my plugin list… I can see that adding support for a peripheral could take a back seat to many other popular options.

The OP was about devices in general but seems to have evolved to cover just mice and SpaceMice in particular.

Can I also put in a vote for my printer, an Epson Workforce WF-7720? It is a recent acquisition following the sad demise of my Epson WF-7610. Thee printers are very cheap to buy but do everything very well until they keel over. They are nowhere near as solidly built as an HP printer but they are easy to use and I’m happy to pay for frequent replacements rather than an office workhorse that costs the earth but is indestructible.

Nothing is perfect but my Epson printers come quite close.

Head%20Banger

Yes, either one of those, i think of it as the portable one, when I bought it it was known as the notebook version?.
It’s all you need for navigating, the toggle/joystick works the same as the pro version, so save your money. Makes for efficient movement around a model. One of its benefits is that the tracking in on objects, doesn’t get slowed down the way the native tool in SU does. In SU when you move in on something it slows you down as you approach faces. The space mouse is not affected by this.
I use the wired version. While I prefer the idea of the wireless I have experienced some lack of responsiveness with the wireless connection, but that could be another issue with my own system?

I mentioned “other hand” on the assumption we are not all right handed. I use it with the left hand as I have regular mouse in right hand and can use both simultaneously…sounds crazy but is quite instinctive.

Can be used in object or camera mode. In camera mode, pushing forwards or back is same as tracking/dollying in and out. Moving it left right same as tracking (crabbing) right/left (SU panning). Lifting the knob up or down is same as craning/jibbing up or down. Twisting clockwise or counterclockwise is same as SU “look around” panning (sketchup’s panning is a misnomer as it is more of a crab move in film terminology, a pan is a rotation from a fixed point). Tilting the knob forwards or back, does just that, tilts the view. You can tilt left right if “lock horizon” is unchecked.

1 Like

I want to put in a vote for the Pro version - at least for desktop use. Proper setting of the customizable buttons vastly reduces the times I need to move my hand from trackball or SpaceMouse to the keyboard and back!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.