What is your favorite mouse and why? Looking for advice on a new mouse for SketchUp

It really is. And there’s a reason the mouse hasn’t changed significantly in many years. You won’t regret it.

1 Like

Interestingly, no. They have more buttons, sure. But to me the big thing is build quality and reliance. They are just built right for someone who needs to use a mouse with lots of buttons without losing grip. Nothing is awkward when handling it. They last a long time on a charge and do not fail quickly or ever.

1 Like

Here is the setup I use when working in SketchUp:

1. Keychron Q11 split keyboard (left side only).
  2. Mouse Razer Naga V2 Pro with additional side buttons mapped to select/lock axes.
  3. Keychron Q0 Numpad for entering numeric values.

I am also not a fan of mechanical keyboards. They really slow down my typing speed. I was looking at the Logitech MXKeys and it does look like a great keyboard. Of course I would always get a keyboard with a number pad. I couldn’t live without it!

Same as many here:
MX Keys for a keyboard, and MX Master 3S for a mouse.
But personally, the only reason I got hooked to the MX3 mouse is the scroll!
They have this free rolling scroll that you can kick once to zoom all the way in and out in Sketchup. No repetitive finger motion required anymore. To the point that scrolling with a regular mouse became a no go.
Passed that, the ergonomy is not so great for every hand. You might want to hold one first… I, for one, still unintentionally press the right click button regularly.
An Elecom EX-G does a much better job at fitting my hand, for less than half the price.

2 Likes

Also The MX mouse is praised for its durability here, but its matte finish will quickly get polished around the contact areas, making it look “used” pretty quickly.
Many mouse have a much sturdier surface coating.
But sure, that’s just cosmetics… It’s mechanical functions remain pristine!

3 Likes

I have the MX mouse. Its great for casual use but i find it doesnt have enough buttons for SKP so i got got a logitech g600 (with 12 buttons in the side). The g600 has a windows bug that may be specific to my setup but but its great for SKP. I use the first 3 side buttons to lock inferencing into a direction as easy example.

I now have 2 mice sitting on my desk since i only use it for SKP so that part isnt great but the overall buttons make it great to rip through models quickly and intuitively.

I also have the space mouse enterprise. I find that i never use the keys (maybe because i use them on the mouse or keyboard) and i turn the display off in software but having the base under the space mouse is a deal maker and real life saver and its now a dealbreaker on why i dont like the space mouse compact that does not have a base - its simply too light and i was always lifting it off the desk. Its now a joy to use the spacemouse. I would recommend any space mouse that has a base that you rest your hand on top of it. It does not have the be the enterprise. The wireless or compact should be relegated to travel use only imo.

I also recommend the stream deck of 15 keys or larger…
(I could go on…)

1 Like

That’s two people now who have mentioned the Steam Deck. I thought that was for gaming? What am I missing?

You can set them up with an infinite number of screens configured however you want them. You can even use the icons from 2022 :+1:

A stream deck is a programmable hardware keyboard, ranging I think from 4 keys up to quite a few. These keys can lead to other keys, so 4 keys can link to 4 more etc etc giving a hugely configurable set up. Meaning 1 of 4 keys can be set to ‘next page’ a bit like shift etc giving you more options. Each key can also have user configurable icons. So each hardware button has it’s own screen. The reality is it is all a screen under the buttons that you can customize to your hearts content.
I have the 16 button version. It is designed more for video/blog content creators. But works well for just about anything, sounds like sketchup.
A similar and different option is Touch Portal, which is a software version along the same lines. It turns your phone, ipad or android tablet into a configurable touchscreen keyboard. The free version is worth checking out , albeit limited, but the paid version is very cheap and extremely versatile.
Truth is I use both regularly, but I also use a stylus mostly rather than a mouse, and I prefer the Touch Portal interface for modelling and the Stream deck as my go to for inputting dart scores, in other words it is set up for a brain dead physical punch in of numbers, which is hard on a touch screen.

1 Like

Once you start using ctrl, shift or alt either singular or in combination with a key as a shortcut, you increasingly have to use two hands – or at least I do.

With the Stream Deck you can program a Stream Deck key to perform a shortcut, say, ctrl + shift + alt + P which does require two hands.

2 Likes

Not the steam deck. the STREAM deck. The stream deck is NOT only for gaming. Most people think it is for streaming but in reality it is essentially a macropad that is customizable to the app and since its screen based, you always know what you are clicking since it/you customize it to your apps and preferences. It is fantastic.

The future flux keyboard may make it obsolete but maybe not.

1 Like

Stream deck also has an IOS app that is software only for your phone/ipad but really… just get the full physical device if you use your computer to get paid…

1 Like

Here’s a quick snapshot of my work setup.
I still like the old style drawing board angle and everything sits well on that surface, including my coffee cup on the trimmed block of wood.

7 Likes

What’s the circular device next to the callipers?

Space mouse/navigator? Oh, those calipers…

Volume control for soundbar and phone connection.

1 Like
Not really relevant

I probably should explain more but this isn’t my thread, offish topic, there are several other monitors within view and the desk itself moves around on wheels and up and down depending on where I want it. It can be a drawing board or a coffee table. The monitor in view is a touch screen on a sliding door track, meaning it can move to wherever I need it depending on what I am doing. In this shot for designing, but a quick fling slide to the laser or the other way to the 3d printer and so on.
I really only mention this as I think of mice as yet another variable. I work with many of them, several in my work space and others when I work for other people, each have their idiosyncrasies.
The real trick is to train your hand.

2 Likes

I just switched to a Nulea M501 Rollerball Mouse. It’s way better than the Logi M570. It has a button on top that toggles 4-pointer speeds and is USB rechargeable. Slip resistance surface seals the deal. 29$
They also make an ergo rechargeable Keyboard

1 Like

IMHO, that won’t be an efficient workflow. Ideally, your left hand should be placed on the left part of the keyboard, your right hand on the mouse, and your gaze should be directed towards the screen.
This device doesn’t let a user to work like that.
It’s not that difficult to learn some shortcuts if they are designed with cleverness in mind using mnemonic techniques.