Welcome to the Studio family, V-Ray 5 and Scan Essentials!

I use latest MAC OS. I was looking at getting the studio offer that’s available at the moment. It says windows only. If I get the offer will I still be able to use everything with no access to some features? What is it that I won’t be able to take advantage of? Why does it say windows only?

Read the first post in this thread.

I did and I am still unclear. I am new to sketch up so I’m asking to clarify before I part with my money. It says scan essentials is only available with windows but I wanted someone to clarify if this is the only thing that I wouldn’t be able to take advantage of if there was other elements I can’t use.

Sadly, yes I am also going to have to move in that direction I guess. I just re-upped my Energy Pro for $280…even after it was dormant for almost 17 years? They still had my name on file and all I had to do was upgrade to the newest version. So $600 for the combination of Sketchup Pro and Energy Soft is about what I expected. The up side is that EnergyPro is accepted by the state I live in as a accepted analysis software thus I will comply with local ordinances in my design build models.

I am unsure what the future holds for myself and SketchUp (and I LOVE this program) BUT…this is my third CAD software program and I am not afraid of moving on to my 4th if there is no other option and I can save $300 or more a year…stinks but…in the words of the great Yogi Berra…

“it is what it is”…

1 Like

Yes. As SketchUp + V-Ray are separetely cheaper than the Studio bundle, I don’t think it makes financial sense unless you need and can use all parts of the bundle.

1 Like

Hi Studio is a Windows-only offer at this point in time, since the main differentiators are Scan Essentials and V-Ray compare to Pro. There are windows extensions provided in the Studio bundle :slight_smile: feel free to trial out our 30-day trial and but you will need a windows machine to test V-Ray and Scan Essentials.

I don’t know which market they studied where the price of a bundle that included SketchUp was $1,200 a year and then the next year price went up 50% for a stand alone version and that makes it a bargain?

So if I do the math is comes out to $699 for the THIS one year “bargain” for Studio and then $1,598 for Sefaira for a whopping $2,297 for THIS YEAR and then next year I can count on spending $2,797 once the sales is over? I can see THAT team meeting…

Makes Sense

Look I have nothing against SketchUp and their product. I love this software and have a minor fortune wrapped up in plug ins and training. I even defend them every time someone kick starts that stupid “subscription” thread or even that pointless argument of “SketchUp vs Blender”…but I am in total opposition to this pricing hike and thank goodness I was stubborn enough to NOT buy in last year when I was contemplating it because this “bait and switch” garbage would have REALLY upset me one year into the subscription…so when I do the math and I come up with THAT kind of price increase?..

No thanks

1 Like

It might be that you are a bit confused about the options. Your math is clearly not right.

SketchUp Pro is in my Euros 274€/year

SketchUp Studio is 1095€/year (promo 639€) Studio combines SketchUp with V-Ray and Scan Essentials. The old Studio, if I remember right, only had Sefaira.

If you need Sefaira but not V-Ray or Scan Essentials you buy Pro + Sefaira. No need to buy the Studio. Also, if you only need one of the bundled Studio components, it makes sense to subscribe to that and SketchUp Pro separately and forget about the Studio.

My math is correct. You a re assuming I do not want the rest of the Studio subscription and THAT is incorrect. The Scan Essentials was definitely a tool I thought my company could incorporate into our work and sales flow and that is part of the Studio subscription and this the basis for my argument. Sticking with the Pro version now seems the favorable way to go for me at this time.

But even at that? $299 for Pro plus $1,598 = $1,897?

tenor

Maybe Sketchup team could consider an “À la carte” subscription model, where people could pick a number of tools from the global offer.

• Sketchup would then be valued at the starting 274€/y
  • Add Scan Essentials and you’d pay an extra fee;
  • Add Vray and pay an extra;
  • Add Sefaira and pay another extra;

The more extras you would add, the greater the discount for each extra. A single extra would have no discount, 2 would start having discount, 3 would have bigger discount. We would then be able to create the bundle we would like. Sketchup is 3D for all but not everyone uses it the same way.

1 Like

The original price of Sefaira subscription was ~1600 dollar.
When they launched the first Studio, you got SketchUp Pro and Trimble Connect and viewers as well for ~1200 p/y.
It’s now back on it’s own, again.

Either way it is now unobtainable for us at that price. Sucks because I was bouncing off the walls and my wife could see that I could really use this software bundle. Oh well…moving on…

@trampy I am a HVAC designer in the United States. Apparently someone flagged your reply for some reason so if you want you can just message me so no one gets offended or reports our conversation.