Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Thank you Box for the clarification and reply.

Rick

2 Likes

Hello, I’ve used this forum twice but forgot to introduce myself, oops. I’m an artist working with light, and I want to learn Sketchup so I can design sculptures. I think that being able to design work in 3D software will expand my imagination. First, of course, I have to learn how to use it. I’ve been using Photoshop and Illustrator for many years. I tried a course in Rhino five years ago, but it was only 6 sessions, and it did way too much for me to grasp. Sketchup seems more intuitive.

I’m most grateful for the generosity here in this forum.

It anyone wants to see what my work looks like my website is www.carolsalmanson.com

2 Likes

Hello, picked up SketchUp Pro again. My name is James Tew, I like how exact I can get the measurements in the application. Also using for personal use for now. My set up is a Alienware Aurora i5 9th gen, GTX 1660 Super graphics card. Nice to be back and my skill level now is in between Beginner and Intermediate.

1 Like

Hi my name is Sean I’m a teacher using Sketch up for Schools. :smiley:

3 Likes

Hi,

I’m a retired IT geek now sitting at home trying to make a drawings of my projects at home, like the workbench I’m hoping to build for my IT and electronics projects. Visiting the forum in hopes of getting past a few stumbling blocks I’m encountering, otherwise I’ll just keep doing what I was doing in the past which is - let’s say anyone that’s a seasoned SU user would probably have been horrified… %)

So for the foreseeable future I’m a knowledge sponge, but maybe I’ll be able to contribute someday.

1 Like

One of the ways to learn things is to watch the Friday SketchUp Live recordings. It is live most Fridays, but is also recorded. Here is one from July, where Aaron makes a workbench.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum. This is a good place to get over those stumbling blocks.

If you need a hand specifically with your bench, get in touch. I’ve done lots of workbenches in SketchUp. Here are a few. (My shop’s not big enough to do all of them for real.)

1 Like

Thank you for the offer, I have a fairly specific space and shape constraints and it’s a lightweight thing for electronics and hobbycraft - I can understand the shop being too small :smiley: because this one is going into a roughly 6’ x 3’ irregular space in the hobby/craft room the wife and I share. (And my cabinetry scale workshop is about to disappear as the owner of this property is splitting it to build a second unit and guess which half of the land my shed’s on?..)

Also things are always a bit hectic so I’ll be fitting the learning curve in with a dozen other projects. Not a typical retirement as I have way too many things I want to get going with. Whoever said retirement is a relaxing time either flat out lied or didn’t have hobbies and interests… hehehehe

1 Like

My uncle once said to me, “Being retired is getting up in the morning with nothing to do and going to bed with only half of it done.”

5 Likes

Doing nothing is the hardest job. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Hi, my name is Andy. I’m a retired structural engineer and I have just started to use SketchUp (basic subscription) as a means to design my Sprinter van conversion. I was doing my lay out work “on the boards”, so to speak, as that is my main experience (and I simply like hand drawn products - much more satisfying, in my mind :). I decided to give SketchUp a go for its “3D” capabilities as I admit it will allow my wife and I to better visualize the spacial relationships of the design. I started out with a bang but have begun to bog down; hence my presence on this forum. Looking forward to learning a lot and easing my fustration…

1 Like

Hello all, I am using Sketchup for some railing designs, I am curious, is there a function which will add all the current dimensions for me so that I can speed up my takeoff for materials? Thanks!

1 Like

There are options in SketchUp Pro. Not in SketchUp Shop, though.

Who are you?
Roland del Castillo

What is your industry and profession?
Architect

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?
Design Consultancy, Production drawings for small to medium projects

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it?
Fast, reliable and low polygon count.

How proficient are you in SketchUp?
Intermediate, Im pretty sure the forum has lots of techniques to offer.

Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp?
Not yet.

What is your current set up?
Ryzen 5, GTX 1050i, 32GB Ram and to SATA 1TB harddrive. Nothing fancy, low end
with maximum output.

Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?
Nope.

Anything else you would like to tell us?
I like sketchup and cheeseburgers

What is your favorite Emoji?
XD

Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…?
Yes, Candlelight dinners & Movie Sicario, too.

1 Like

Who are you?
Louis
What is your industry and profession?
Retired Electrical Engineer now exploring woodworking

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?
Personally
Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it?
I’m just now starting to learn SketchUp using an older version as recommended by a tutorial program.
How proficient are you in SketchUp?
Beginner
Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp?
Not yet.

What is your current set up?
OS Catalina 2.2GHz Quad Core Intel i7

Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?
Nope.

Anything else you would like to tell us?
Not for now
What is your favorite Emoji?
Emoji ?
Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…?
Yes, Candlelight dinners
[/quote]

1 Like

Who are you? Fiona Jane

What is your industry and profession? Ex marketer & recruiter, currently creating an Interior Design business

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? Initially personal use, but now as part of my studies and new business

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? It allows me to design the same way I think – spatially – as well as the integration with Layout – which is so easy to use.

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner/Intermediate – have drafted up full house models including simple curved pendant lamps. Am still learning landscaping and would love to eventually be able to model complex curved objects.

Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? Not yet.

What is your current set up? Acer F5 laptop with Intel i7, NVIDIA GeForce and dual screens. My hubby builds custom PCs so he’s in the process of building me something with much more grunt for rendering

Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? Not yet.

Anything else you would like to tell us? The basics of SketchUp are eerily similar to modelling in some online community based games, like SecondLife. I used to build commercially in there and found it easy to translate these skills into SketchUp. Btw: SecondLife is where I met my PC Superstar husband – as an avatar, on a virtual beach. We’ve been together RL for almost 12 yrs now.

What is your favorite Emoji? I use too many, too regularly to just choose one.

Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? I live in Australia – how could I NOT??

3 Likes

I am a retired Electrical engineer trying to start a new business in the prebuilt construction field I purchased Sketchup Pro to make drawings for business. The learning curve is steep and I need help. Looking to hire local help in S.W. Michigan to make drawings…

1 Like

Hi, my name is Jorge Salas and I worked with my company called Baumaster, in a small town in the Chilean South, called Osorno. We are dedicated to help our customers in the remodeling and new construction business. Sketchup has been “THE” most effective tool to help our customers visualize their projects and to resolve interactions between the old and the new constructions.

3 Likes

Hello Sketchup community… This is Michael, from the eastern Canadian province of Nova Scotia. I am a mostly retired electrician and electrical instructor. My wife and I will be building our home this next summer. I had never heard of Sketchup one month ago and this afternoon I purchased the classic Pro license with the free version expiring. I am looking forward to developing my Sketchup skills over the next few months, so that I can create a model of our home plans. I decided to purchase the classic pro version as I can envision myself using Sketchup for a variety of projects over the coming years. I’m a beginner with much of this program but it is easy to see that a person is limited only by their imagination (and skill of course) and creativity.

Thanks and I look forward to making some Sketchup friends here.

6 Likes
  • Who are you? remko kuipers from delft in the netherlands. no amsterdam is our capitol not the country.
  • **`What is your industry and profession? i am am building manager at YES!Delft and YES!Delft Labs. we house and support start ups mainly from the TU Delft. vissit the website (spam)
  • **`Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? both
  • Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? we needed a progam to make drwaings when we remodel the building and choose for scetchup not dissapointed
  • How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner,
  • Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? nope
  • What is your current set up? windows and 2019
  • Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? not yet but you kan vissit YES!Delft.com any time
  • Anything else you would like to tell us? woring on buing a kickass 3d printer and lasercutter for the buiding communnity . see a lot of possebilities
  • **What is your favorite Emoji?**:rofl:
  • Do you enjoy long walks on the beach...? yes and ist aroud the corner so that a plus.
1 Like