V-Ray for Sketchup - Render Cannot Allocate Buffer of size 1865MB

Hi. I just installed Vray 5 on Sketchup 2022.
I tried to render an image within Sketchup and I receive the following error message:

[V-Ray] [GPU light cache] Could not allocate buffer of size 1865MB!

My GPU has 2GB of RAM and Windows is showing 4GB of shared GPU RAM.
Any ideas?

Laptop: Asus S510UN
GPU: Nvidia geforce mx150GPU 2GB (included with the laptop)
Windows 10

1 Like

You can check the system requirements:

https://help.sketchup.com/en/vray-sketchup/installing-vray-sketchup

RAM

At what resolution and quality?
Have you tried to see if you can render at least one simple box?

I tried rendering at 1920px wide x 1080.
I just noticed something strange…the render always fails the first time, then succeeds the second time.
It seems to be fine after I clear Channels Data from the V-ray render window.

My laptop is an Intel i7 with 8GB RAM.

Make sure in your Nvidia control panel 3D application settings that SketchUp is set to use the Nvidia MX graphics. I have a MX 250 in my Asus ultrabook, and AFAIK it has its own memory and doesn’t share it with the CPU.

1 Like

Where is that window?

I’ve been having this same issue, along with error during GPU initialization by using the render button. I can run the interactive render and do some minor changes during render, but after 40 min of render I didn’t like the result… Still too noisy!
I’m using NVIDIA GeForce 3060. I wasn’t having this issue 2 days ago, lol
What could have happened?

Did your computer have any updates? Go to the Nvidia website and get the latest video driver and install it. Open the Nvidia control panel and ensure the 3060 is being used by SketchUp.

I can render other files, but this particular one I cannot render it.

I’ll try that!

I’ve also been having the problem for the last 2 days! The exact same scene of the exact same project was rendering just fine, until I made some really minor changes of some textures and tried to have a high quality render
I tried to copy the project to a new sketchup file => same problem
,tried hiding all complex objects from the scene => same problem
,tried hiding all objects where I made texture changes => same problem :neutral_face:
It only renders when I activate material override

Anything worked for you?!

Well, I redesign all the materials in my kitchen today and it worked fine. There was this one moment in which I added a plant wall from warehouse and all of the sudden that error window appeared and then suddenly disappeared. So I’m thinking it has something to do with materials… Maybe some materials are bugged in this V-ray version. They recently released an update.