Using a sheet knife to cut an object

Hello best SU helpers. This question only for info and training.

I am using a sheet of knife to cut objects in this case a ball with a hole (part of kendama toy).
In this example the division is on a circelsigment is therefore not really on the half of the ball.
I know I can run 180 degrees with FollowMe but other object with curves have a problem…
Q Kendama.skp (2.3 MB)
Regards Albert

0 Likes

A few pointers…

• Make your circle path with a logical number of segments.
    Using 96 would be better than 100 etc.
    Also easier to model about the origin/axes…

• Rotate the circle [path] about its center so that the face you are extruding with FollowMe is located above the center of one of the segments.
    Then cut the circle-path in half by drawing a line as the diameter from the center of that segment to the segment’s center of the opposite side of the circle [axially is easiest].
    That way you now have a 180° path.
    That way the extrusion starts perpendicular to the path.
    As you have it currently it starts at the start of a segment not its center, so the extrusion is ‘skewed’.

• Always ensure that the face to extrude and path line properly up, so that the extrusion starts perpendicular to the start of the path…

0 Likes

Indeed 96 works better. But it goes wrong with half a ball or a part.
training ball or part.skp (1.6 MB)

0 Likes

training ball or part.skp (2.1 MB)

0 Likes

Just repeating what @TIG has already mentioned, rotate the path by half a segment so the profile is perpendicular to the last first and last segments of the path.
Then use the curve as the path not the face.
Half%20Seg%20Follow
You could also turn on hidden geometry a delete the parts of the sphere you don’t want.

3 Likes