Updated to 2020.. transfer templates

I updated to 2020 and i was on 2018. I had some awesome templates and styles i made. How do i transfer over my cool templates to use in 2020? i dont feel like redoing them all, if i dont have too:)

i assume i have to reinstall extensions?

thanks.

This is first time updating since i started on 2018. I had a 2 year license since under the education version.

These paths I will give are ones that you can copy and paste into the path field in File Explorer, to go directly there.

If you mean SketchUp templates, those are in this folder:

%AppData%\SketchUp\SketchUp 2018\SketchUp\Templates

LayOut templates are here:

%AppData%\SketchUp\SketchUp\SketchUp 2018\LayOut\Templates

You can copy the ones you want to keep, and paste them into the matching 2020 locations:

%AppData%\SketchUp\SketchUp 2020\SketchUp\Templates
%AppData%\SketchUp\SketchUp\SketchUp 2020\LayOut\Templates

At the moment LayOut 2020.2 has an issue where it might crash if you open an old template. If that happens, open the template in 2018 and check the Document Setup, References list, to make sure that no files are missing. If they are missing, relink them.

1 Like

For extensions the safer thing would be to find them in Extension Warehouse and install them again, to make sure you’re getting a 2020 compatible version. If you want to try manually moving them across, they are in this folder:

%AppData%\SketchUp\SketchUp 2018\SketchUp\Plugins

1 Like

Ok, i will reinstall from the warehouse, since a majority of them came from there. The only one i worry about is my paid version of artisan tools for digital sculpting… which i highly recommend haha

thanks for the help. School starts soon and its going to be interesting. Last couple of semesters and ill have my degree in medical and aerospace engineering. Sketchup pro has been a LIFE SAVER,

Sketchup Pro has been my go to for modeling for the last 3 years. I am solidworks certified, but i like SU pro so much better. It works the way my brain works haha. Not knocking other software, but its nice to finally find a product that works like my brain.

1 Like