Upcoming Change to Add Location

Thanks, that seem to cover it then. I tried Oslo, which is at 59,91, at it has terrain, though most of Norway is more than 60 degrees, so I hope the data for 60+ will be available real soon as we right now is in Limbo when producing map data for our projects :slight_smile:

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

I don’t believe Trimble bother to look at this forum. All Ic an see is “kind” people making excuses for “poor trimble’ s” screw up in not fixing this sooner OR my posts are deleted by who I know not

1 Like

Sorry I haven’t spammed anyone I just replied do I need to put an @ in front. Ia m not an expert at forums so I apologize if I inadvertently offended any one please explain who “staff” are ? if they are Trimble staff this is who I have been simply trying to get to Trimble with no luck

Really? There are 34 posts in this thread by Trimble employees.

2 Likes

How can I tell and what I mean is read adn action !

Seriously? All you have to do is look at the usernames. It clearly identifies the SketchUp team members.

They’ve clearly explained the situation. All you have to do is read.

3 Likes

How can I tell if they work for Trimble please and are they acting in an official capacity or as kind hearted volunteers. I want solutions not platitudes and excuses for my maintenance fee

1 Like

to @Bryceosaurus It was not given Free it was part of the product when we bought. I am offended by beeing treated like an free user in Australia if a product does not provide what it is sold to provide it is either fixed or a refund please put me in contact with the person at Trimble with whom I can discuss this. Trimble operate in Australia under Australian consumer laws.
do not delete this post because it might embarrass Trimble

1 Like

“incessant griping” – Consumer Dissatisfaction with product not performing as sold !!

2 Likes

I paid for my software in Australian dollars from a company Trimble, who trades under Australian consumer laws. Sketchup is a small part of their business. When I get going in the media about this they risk losing their professional construction business. MicroSoft tried to not fix a bug in Project a few years ago the media loved exposing their unprofessional attitude. It would be better if I didn’t have to go this extreme.

1 Like

If you want a “formal response” this isn’t the place. This is a discussion forum, not a formal support site. You should contact support

5 Likes

I think it’s important to stay constructive in the feedback, even if the change to add location is very unfortunate in its current state. Trimble most likely knew their new provider had different data, but maybe didn’t expect it to be as major an impact as it is, and with all data above 60 degrees missing terrain info is also not something that was planned. Hopefully the satellite-plane-photo quality will improve a lot in not too long, and hopefully the missing terrain-data will be present asap. Is there any news or info on when either of these two things are likely to happen? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I use the Add Location feature professionally frequently and depend on the high quality color image mapping and decent topographical data. We would be willing to pay a reasonable fee to retain the original dataset. The current location information is not nearly as useful. I needed it just yesterday to properly locate some stone work on site for a quick conceptual rendering. The image was so low quality that I had to abandon a well loved workflow and try to find another way to solve the problem. The original data set was good enough that we could use it for quick sketches without needing civil .dwg assets.

Please Trimble, strike a deal with Google and bring back their data. It is worth paying for.

Respectfully,

Aiden Humphrey

3 Likes

Google’s imagery is not available at any price, under the license terms that SketchUp requires. We are working on alternative solutions.

10 Likes

You and me both. (I’m located in Trondheim :wink: )

I have this question as well can it be entered in the open forum, surely there’s no need for secrecy about something as basic as this

It’s no different at Google. In a broad sense, we knew when certain things would be updated within a window, but never specifically. Similar at Trimble: there’s data updates and fixes happening, and we can’t promise anything, but if we think there’s a large enough general interest, we’ll post. It’s not secret, it’s too time-consuming, kinda like this thread. Back to work…

5 Likes

Barry, with all due respect, as much as I understand the situation, this kind of backlash was to be expected given the options users have. If it was not expected, then it is to be managed from SketchUp’s end. The last thing a paying customer wants to hear is an employee of the service / product provider complaining about the complaints / opinions of the customers (many are Pro users and, yes I know, many of the complaints also come from Make users, some legitimate and then also some free loaders).

4 Likes

So what I’m hearing is: no matter what you post, people will be upset and backlash.

I’m not getting into that discussion. I’m just trying to keep us moving forward and helping everywhere we can. I take the backlash as “Wow, we had 11 years of incredible, free data from Google, WITH modification rights that others didn’t have, even though Google only owned you for 6 years. I’ll be forever grateful for you guys for your help, and from now on, I’ll realize that data really isn’t free, that rockets have to go up with satellites circling our planet with cameras on board, waiting for cloudless days, and there has to be huge ground support to make this all happen.”

Someone queue Louis CK, cell phones and flying. For you humor-impaired people on this list, please DON’T search for that video.

4 Likes