Upcoming Change to Add Location

geolocation
addlocation

This is a licensing issue. If you find another service that lets you do the same thing as SketchUp used to do it’s probably because it’s not following the license set up by the data providers.

If the municipal you live in decide to lower the speed limits to 40 km/h, you can’t blame your mechanic or your car manufacturer that you can’t drive faster than that.

I’m in, I would like to try it.

I would love to Beta test this but cant seem to Private message you unfortunately

Kind regards,

Raymond

Hi , Have you heard anything back from him regarding the Beta?

Thanks

Raymond

No Raymond I have not.

Have you tried Placemaker?

DaveR why are you sticking up for
trimble,This person is making a legitimate point !

I just want the same quality as previous not really interested in long excuses

In his last post, Dave is in fact referring to a non-Trimble product.

If you read the whole of this bloated thread, you would see that the “previous” quality is not available, even for money. It would involve Trimble re-gathering and licensing all the imagery for the whole globe and re-building the service for themselves. Probably that would cost so much that the price of SU Pro would acquire a new zero at the end.

Hi all !
Just reviewing the option of signing up for Placemaker (which we use anyway) with their new option of using NearMap for HiRes imagery for “credits” to pay for NearMap services in the US. If you’d like to look into this then feel free to search NearMap and see all the negative comments about them (NearMap) now charging for their service in AU and the high price they ask.
Very interesting . . .
Could Trimble make such a deal with NearMap like Placemaker and ArcGIS, etc. have?
Just saying . . . !

I would like to be a beta tester too. My project, which has taken over a year now, is re-entering the phase where I have to put it into its chosen location. I had done this with the old version when Google was still supplying data. Frankly, even with Google it was unacceptably blury close-up, but it’s even worse now with Digital Globe.
But I’d like to try this on my model.
I have an iMac with 4 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
and the latest SU 2018.
How can I download this extension and install it? I have installed other extensions.

First, I apologize for now restating what earlier posts have offered but the best way is to first go to www.suplacemaker.com, learn more and review the pricing and the “NearMap” addition to the v2 Placemaker version. We haven’t upgraded yet so can’t speak for or against it - other than it sounds like it will solve the low resolution problem if NearMap covers the area you are viewing - see go.nearmap.com for that question.

Would also love to try this, email is emerkel@antaresgroupinc.com. Thx!

I’m really disappoint to have to read off this. Getting dinged an extra $200 US to acquire Placemaker is a bitter pill. Any progress on functionality of this feature. It’s the kind of thing I have to use rarely but when I need it it’s really helpful.

Unfortunately Digital Globe has a pretty substantial price for their high res imagery. It doesn’t come for free.

Maybe you can find a local source for suitable imagery but you would want to check their terms of service to make sure you can use the imagery in your projects.

It seem the 3D data for geo above 60 degrees North is back now - satellite imagery is still bad, but it’s easy enough to replace the texture with an imported google maps one. Very good news for us that the data is back at least - just weird I found out alone, and not getting any info through mail as I’ve sent in reports about this several times :slight_smile:

It may be that Digital Globe never communicated the change to anyone at SketchUp.

Make sure are aware of Google’s Terms of Service. They have restrictions on the use of their imagery in the way you are using it.

I understand that for Google imagery other uses than looking at them on your screen in Google Earth or Google Maps is forbidden.

Hi, I am an architect and have used sketchup pro a few years. occasionally, I have used the import image form earth feature, that I now find is no longer a feature. Great idea… I have looked at a long list of posts that seem to be mostly concerned w/ the location feature (which I still have w/ 17), and I agree lousy resolution, but for simple context studies works fine. I am looking for an easy way to “paint” the block site building models w/ pics. importing site generated photos or snips from google maps seems rather archaic. any suggestions?

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

SketchUp in 2019: where great ideas get to work