Twilight render

I have been using SU for about 3 years now and am pretty familiar with most of the function of this software. I bought the twilight render plugin about 6 months ago but never really could get it to work. I’m using a simple kitchen model to experiment with. Here is what I got after like a 12 hr rendering job.

I’d like to get faster better results if possible.
All comments would be appreciated! Thanks!

12 hours for a simple scene like this? :flushed: :thinking: That’s not good. My old renderings would take 2 hours to render and they had everything - bump and displacement mapping, reflections and refractions, artificial lights. I’m thinking it’s because of the render engine, perhaps? There are some rendering programs that are comparably slower at the calculation and rendering process. You should check your settings because 12 hours is not a normal time for a scene like this.

Tips

• Textures

Your wood texture is too large. scale it down and make it at least 2x smaller, because it screams “CGI”.

For free and quality textures head over to SketchUp Texture. They have about 40,000 different textures, plus other free visualisation resources.

Also, add noticeable reflection to your floor.

• Modelling

One of the keys to photo-realistic rendering that I’ve discovered is detailing. Adding more details breathes life into your scene. In this example, I’d personally add handles to the cabinets, as it’s obvious they’re missing and maybe some household stuff on the counters to disperse the sub-conscious illusion that this is an abandoned place.

• Lighting

You have lighting in your scene but I don’t see the source of the light. It’s always a good thing to show a light source or two, so that your scene doesn’t look like a video game, where they have ambient lighting.

If this is not a real-life project, I’d enlarge that window, get rid of the artificial lighting and make the window the source of natural light. With the correct white balance, it would create a coziness.

Visual Composition

Familiarise yourself with frame composition basics. The great Rule of Thirds and the magnificent Golden Ratio are the king and queen of composition.

Random Tips

• Your eye height seems to be a bit too high. Most of the time, for interior rendering it’s good to set the camera to a height that’s close to human eyes. 150-160 cm above the ground is usually good.

• Experience with the field of view.

• Later, start experiencing with the ratios of the rendering itself, like 16:9 and 4:3.

• IES Lights from under the cabinets would be a functionally good idea.

• Add vegetation. Always remember, the more natural your scene is, the more real it will feel.