Transferring files from a computer to one running older version of SketchUp

Hello. I have Sketchup Make 2017 on my iMac that is running OSX 10.11.6. I do my drafting work on this machine because of the big screen. However, when visiting clients, I copy the .skp files into my flash drive and show it to clients on my Macbook Air laptop which is running OSX 10.9.5

While I had the earlier version of Sketchup, I was able to transfer and open .skp files between my desktop and my Macbook Air. But now, after upgrading to Sketchup Make 2017 on my desktop, I cannot open any of the new .skp files transferred there.

My problem: I cannot upgrade my laptop to OSX 10.11 as I never downloaded the upgrades since 10.9.5 and now the only option is to upgrade to OSX 10.12 (Sierra). However, from the Sketchup site, I see that Sketchup make will not run on Sierra.

What can I do to get back to the previous state where files could be transferred and opened between my two machines?

Use File>Save as and save the file back to the older version of SketchUp on your laptop.

Since you are using SketchUp for work with clients you must use pro.

you should be using Pro, not Make…

also, v17 runs on Sierra…

john

1 Like

You can use just the SketchUp Viewer on the laptop. (But this assumes that you upgrade to a Pro license for the main work on the iMac.)

Thank you Dave and John. I will do as Dave advised.

I’m changing the title of this topic, as it actually has to do with transfer between computers running different SketchUp versions, not with OS X versions. As Dave noted, the answer is to downsave to the oldest version.

2 Likes

(Added tags and changed “another” to “older”.)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.