Traditional dimensions in Layout to studs (or structure) on SU models that are best modeled to finished wall surfaces

Think about it like this. When your dimensioning put yourself in the shoes of the guys trying to build it. That’s what is needed in a construction document. And they will layout the shell and add the finished to that. It’s up to you to compensate for the finishes and place the structure members appropriately.

1 Like

I should make a smart ass comment now…

Just a reminder for anyone who doens’t know - a steel stud wall assembly with (fluffy stuff of any kind) essentially render the exterior wall insulation between the steel studs practically useless. When steel studs are used on an external wall and have fluffy stuff insulation between the steel stud cavities, the r value goes from r20 in a 2x6 wall to roughly r5, all because of the fact that steel studs conduct most of the insulations r value away, making it pointless to even insulate that wall between the cavities in the first place using steel studs - better to than install exterior continuous insulation onto that wall assembly instead… Way off topic… Haha.

1 Like

Wondering anyones thoughts on this: Drawing in drywall or not:

I made a post about this topic, whether to draw drywall or not. I think it’s a good idea to draw finishing layers on a post or beam so that you can dimension to the structural part of the post or beam and not the finish when one is ready for construction document dimensioning. However when it comes to drywall, I know that things should be dimensioned to stud framing… My problem right now is if I don’t draw the drywall layer in as it’s own layer, than when I do renderings I will possibly see a gap between the wall and an object say that object is a cabinet in this example… Anyone have any good reasons not to draw drywall into a model and just paint it onto the studs instead? I think in special cases, maybe where there is let’s say a 2" brick or thick finish on an interior wall, maybe that gets drawn in, but just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this?.. This has been one of the hardest things for me to figure out in my workflow using sketchup and layout.

One could reconsider the level of detail needed for each drawing. Then decide. Even a gypsum board is build up with three layers.

I already commented earlier, but I’ll amend this:

• I still do a lot of 2D drawing in PowerCADD where I have a long standing practice of drawing both the rough walls and finishes on them, and it’s not hard to manage that.
  • My SketchUp models start out as design work first, so I draw the finishes.
  • I’ve been doing more with Medeek plugins recently, when it comes to making construction documents out of the SU model, and it manages both rough carpentry and finishes together. I can’t claim to have perfected this workflow, but still working on it.

Cool, thanks you guys for your input. I would really rather not draw in the drywall and I’m still unfortunately deciding if that’s a good idea or not. I think it’s only necessarry to do so (to draw in drywall as it’s own thickness for example 1/2") when I am doing a rendering with a fixture in view so that you don’t see a gap between the wall and fixture, say a cabinet against a wall… Still undecided, still frustrated that I haven’t figured this out, ha…

The 1st part is a good point, but not flexible enough I think as renderings should work with any size drawing, where the user doesn’t have to change any parts of the rendering to suit different sized views.

Your second point, I don’t understand why anyone would ever want to model the 2 paper faces of the drywall and drywall compound between as 3 layers and how that would be useful to anyone either…

For me the end goal is I need to know where the final finish face is and where the studs are. So my layers currently are (and this is the best methodology I’ve come up with to date) is to model my studs as there own thickness and layer for framing dimensioning, model my exterior wall control layers as one single thickness including the siding and than model interior finishes as one single thickness against a wall surface regardless again of how many layers are within that.) This way I will always only ever have 3 layers on my exterior walls being - control layers, ext. wall studs, finish layer on interior side, for my interior it would always be - interior finish layer and int. wall studs… Just wish I could find a reasonable answer on how to eliminate drawing the interior finishing layers most of the time, and I say most of the time becuase in some instances it’s just best to draw in interior finishes… Months and months later, I still have no solution to that…

If its a layout drawing… eg 1:100 definately no… just had to reduce 1:100 dwgs of a hotel to model in SU… 500+ layers to 8 tags… ridiculous level of detail… meaningless layer names… nothing on the correct layer… blocks inserted in layers while the content is in other layers… and yes they drew the render thickness on the walls… (also drew the screws holding the window frames to the walls) would have been sacked if they were in my office!

I work on the KISS principle…

When employing new staff my first warning to them was " the work you do here is not yours… it is everyones…"

1 Like