Track: SketchUp and Photoshop

“Importing Scenes into Photoshop”

Yes. That video doesn’t exist. @eric-s might know something about this.

I just re-linked the video. Not sure why it got ‘disconnected’. It should work now. Please let me know if so or not. Thanks @DaveR for the ping.

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Im trying to do your creating and exporting scenes in Sketchup

https://learn.sketchup.com/course/creating-exporting-scenes-sketchup/styles-scene-setup

lesson only its quite different to your lesson on the 2020 version but more importantly stuck as when I get to 4min 55 seconds where it asks you to open existing render styles the ‘open and create collection’ option does not work, when I direct it to the exercise folder with the render styles the software cannot see any styles. I did n normal windows search on the folder and the files are there.

Also there is no add to favourites tick box

Hi @Spikey - Sorry you’re having trouble with that lesson and I hope you’re enjoying the rest of the course. In the Styles panel, instead of:

…you want to choose ‘Open an Existing Collection…’ then browse to that same ‘Render Styles’ folder. See screenshot below.

As for adding to the collection favorites…this is an optional step so if it doesn’t work for you don’t worry about it. However I did just check that the option was there on both SketchUp 2019 and SketchUp 2020, Mac and Windows and it shows for me. Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Hello, I can’t find the SU[CH] plugin to export in Photoshop… :slightly_frowning_face: Can someone give me a link or an other way to operate? Thanks in advance! And perfect serie of videos!!

You’re the only one who has mentioned a plugin. Which one do you mean?

Eric exported PNGs to take over to Photoshop.

Well, I am in the post-processing scenes in Photoshop, first video we have that part: “find and select all the exports we saved using the [SU]CH plugin and open them all at once in Photoshop by dragging and dropping into the application”.

Hi @Simon_Merlet. I think you found an error on our part. An earlier version of the course recommended using that extension to export the scenes with various styles but while recording the plugin changed. I think the reference to [SU]CH should have been removed. I’ll check and fix that lesson if so.

FYI - here is the link to the same plugin that the developer changed the name and price from free to $24.99 (which is why it was dropped it from the course recommendation) - Extension | SketchUp Extension Warehouse

Ok, thanks for your quick answers. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hello.
I’m currently in lesson “Exporting Scenes” on Windows 10.
In it, you say to set the picture size to 6000widex4000height. But when I set the width, it changes the height to another number. I correct this, and then it changes the width.
Am I doing something wrong?
Here’s a clip.

The aspect ratio of the image export will match the aspect ratio of the SketchUp model window. If you want you can monkey around with adjusting the size (or use an extension to do it) but it probably isn’t worth doing. Decide whether you want the image to be 6000 pixels wide or 4000 pixels high and set that. Let the other dimension be what it is. You can always crop the image in an image editor if you need to.

okay brilliant!
Was just uploading a clip to wetransfer (to post here) then got your notification lol
Thanks

That’s what I used to do until I discovered you could click the the bracket with the chain and set both values. The result will not match your screen/window aspect ratio; it will be cropped in one direction to achieve that ratio, and you won’t have graphic feedback as to where that crop will happen exactly, but it does work.

Export Resolution

Another one of those Mac/Windows differences. Not an option in SketchUp on the PC.
Screenshot - 4_8_2021 , 12_45_25 AM

Interesting. I did not know that. This was one of my talking points in my undelivered Match Photo 3D Basecamp talk, and I was unaware of this Windows functionality point, so thanks for that. Most modern computer monitors are wider than 3 to 2, typically 16 to 9 or 16 to 10. That means setting the vertical to 4,000 pixels in this example case, and letting the horizontal be more than 6,000 pixels wide, and then cropping the horizontal to 6,000 afterward in the image editor.

Of course the aspect ratio also depends on whether or not the tray is displayed.

Tray:
Screenshot - 4_8_2021 , 1_49_31 PM

No Tray
Screenshot - 4_8_2021 , 1_47_54 PM

Good point. They tray eats away the side of the screen, yes? A lot of Windows users have rows and rows of tools at the top of the window eating away the vertical dimension. You don’t get that on MacOS either.

Yes. You’re right. I limit myself to 2 rows of tools across the top and two down the side. On the other hand, I’ve never had a problem getting the images I want out of SketchUp so it doesn’t matter that much to me.