The problems of Match Photo

I have a problem of the match photo, anyone please told me how to fix it. thank a lot.

This looks more like a VRay error thana match Photo error.

1 Like

Do you how can i fix it.

I’m not certain it will make a difference, but I would have expected the red axis to go from the center then to the right and down. Your green axis is where I would think red should be, and vice versa. I bet that it’s supposed to work either way, but maybe V-Ray has a preference.

on the surfaces context click and “make texture unique” for each face. You should then find it doesnt distort in the renderer.

I’m not sure what your desired result is. I assumed the photo was meant to be a background, not painted on the geometry. If that is correct and the issue instead is how the photo is slightly mangled, that appears to be caused by VRay not supporting Sketchup’s rather special UVQ texture coordinates, with a perspective transformation. I’ve gotten a similar same issue when opening SU models in Unity.

A quick document to show how making a texture “unique” after photomatching can remedy the distortion.
This is rendered in Thea, but assume it would work in other rendering software?

Not sure why this happens, I suspect the global photomatched image as a texture doesn’t conform to the correct UV mapping on a face by face basis but when it is unique to a face it does???

Interesting. I can’t say I’ve ever had the circumstances to run into this.

Typically, the best photo for Matchphoto isn’t the best photo for texturing a 3D object. The protruding handles or inset windows create parallax problems from any other view, which is ok for quick-and-dirty effects, but not for the best, highest quality renderings, i.e. times you’d turn to a rendering app for.

I agree, I was trying to pinpoint what the OP was coming up against.

Primarily, photomatch is handy for quick visualization (as in this example) but as you say, better textures (PBR etc, textures with normal maps, reflection etc) are required for more life-like renders. However, when short of dimension information, a photomatch is good for just getting placement of parts, proportions and openings etc. subsequently all of that initial image texture is written over with new textures… or just made white for a more drawn look.

If you can turn on edge rendering in Vray (hidden, planar edges), you see that the faces are triangulated and the texture mapping of neighboring triangles is inconsistent. This is probably due to the exporter (from SketchUp to Vray) not supporting or not correctly exporting perspectivic texture coordinates (“4 pins”), only affine (“3 pins”, 1 UV in each one of 3 vertices).

The best solution would be if you get the exporter to properly export the texture mapping (or using an exporter for another file format for which it works, try maybe COLLADA/dae).

The workaround of making the texture unique creates a new texture aligned to the rectangular model objects (thus texture coordinates are affine). Unfortunately this process is a bit tedious.

Thank you everyone, making a unique texture can fix the problem.

1 Like