Suggested Improvements to learn SketchUp

Hi!,
I am new to this 3D Modeling and after going through horrible experience in SketchUp. I think it is worth my time to say a few things to the team that’s building it.

• I had no idea I could turn off (Centimeter) / this is something SketchUp should teach new users, how to turn on and off.
  • I had no idea if I can add plugins/extensions in SketchUp that can make my life easier.
  • I have wasted a lot of my time building walls using PushUp tool and drawing lines and lines. And there is an extension that does just that in seconds!~ WTF!
  • Add a Slide show that show the new features and extensions that can make life easier, at least those that are completely free.
  • Add some useful extensions and plugins by default, ask to install major/useful free extensions in the installation wizard to download by category and install with some short description for each.
  • FIX THESE MAJOR PROBLEMS.

these requests are no MAJOR problems but PICNIC issues and therefore shouldn’t make it in the application.

7 Likes

First of all this is off topic for this thread. Since sketch3d-de has already replied I’m replying too.

I can’t make any sense of this. Centimeter is a length unit. You can’t turn lengths off.

The SketchUp website front page clearly tells there are extensions. There are already a few shipped by default (dynamic components and sandbox tools). I don’t know what more you want. A popup message saying “hey, have you tried extensions yet??” on startup?

What sketch3d_de said.

2 Likes

It was fun for some time and difficult using SketchUp even after watch Lynda Tutorials but now i"m exploring other better options like - ARCHICAD, Revit and AutoCAD-Civil-3D.

ARCHICAD is better than SketchUp. I will explore / maybe I’m wrong but time will tell :slight_smile:

Please don’t call someone you don’t personally know “sweet heart”. Ever.

“Turning off cm” doesn’t mean anything. You can’t turn hours off from your clock and you can’t turn Celsius/kelvin/Fahrenheit off from your thermometer. You can change what unit you want to use in a model (just as you can chose between thermometers that uses any of said units). You can also toggle unit display but the unit is still used, just not written out.

ARCHICAD is like the Sims on steroids. It’s really fast for conventional architecture but very limiting when it comes to designing anything else, e.g. own furniture, art, custom fixtures, innovative architectural elements etc. What program is best depends on what it is going to be used for.

7 Likes

I have last week deleted the internet, fortunately somebody seems to have switched it on again :wink:

5 Likes

I have learned a lot of things from Lynda, but SketchUp tutorials there was rubbish IMO.
The tutorials there were telling users to put raw geometry into different layers. Which is not the best practice.

You use whichever that is the best suit for you. But doesn’t mean one is superior to other. I am not sure stating such in public is a good idea.

4 Likes

It depends. I use Archicad every day and, of course, i wouldn’t dream of managing a building project without BIM tools (my preference is for Revit but you have to use what your collaborators prefer) but for modelling 3D objects, SketchUp wins. And you can buy 10 SketchUp Pro licenses for the price of one Archicad.

Anssi

1 Like

Unfortunately such deriding expostulations contribute little (if anything) to the relevant base of information.

By your own admission, you are a new user. Would it not be more sensible to conduct your research, try to learn how to use the program and after becoming reasonably familiar with the software to then offer your critique? In all probability, a bit of patience and a positive attitude toward understanding the capabilities of this tool would have greatly enhanced your experience, as has been the case for most SketchUp users (all of whom were new at some point).

Do you really believe that it is reasonable to expect to be an expert after using the program for about a week?

2 Likes

SketchUp isn’t difficult. Its like anything else, You start as a beginner and learn how to use it. I’ve been using Sketchup for less than 18 months and I can produce far advanced models than fellow counterparts that have been using autoucad for a decade.

Having bought a pro licence as your profile describes it could be a very expensive realisation that SketchUp isn’t so bad once you’ve bought licences in the other ‘better’ ones on your list.

I’ve flagged the post because of your sexist language. Let’s hope the admins remove it.

Edit: I’ve flagged the comments. The original post was made by a another user and should be kept, but was hijacked by Bmuzammil.

4 Likes

I agree with you Julia. Certain unnamed individuals are more than just plain rude. They are absolutely crass and it boils my blood.

Perhaps if you decided, at least for now, to show a cartoon image or something else then these individuals wouldn’t act like predators.

I hope the admins will permanently ban this person from the forum. This behavior is unacceptable. It’s because of people like these women hide on the internet!

6 Likes

This is my youngest daughters web site. So you can see that my father instinct comes out full force.

She just won a life time achievement award for Canadian Artists.

2 Likes

[quote=“gkernan, post:17, topic:41228”]
… award for Canadian Artists.
[/quote]Impressive art!

1 Like

This topic is temporarily closed due to a large number of community flags.

Hi Eneroth3 =) / \ My apologies if you considered me rude. I wasn’t being rude. I mostly am childish. I am sorry. I did felt like saying sorry but I had to say this as I would feel bad for a very long time if I didn’t say this. I don’t speak English. I do love English but it isn’t my first language and I don’t really understand this part. But yeah I do know it makes some people uncomfortable. And I do even warn my friends / almost all that if they feel like I’m being rude, I am not. Crazy I know. You should have reached me directly if you felt offended my me. I received an email from sketchup team member explaining this. I am not saying sorry because they requested me. I’m saying sorry because I want to. I am friendly person, not always but mostly I am =). Accept my apology? I would appreciate if you did. I really don’t care if sketchup team blocked me. I would be sad if you didn’t accepted. =(

No matter what language you speak you should know that calling a woman, other than someone you are in a relationship with, sweetheart, or anything similar to that, is utterly demeaning. I also told you directly not to do that.

This was the first sentence in the first response after your first sexist remark. Yet you insisted on continuing it.

I’m sorry but it’s a bit hard to accept an apology that claims, not only once but twice, that you weren’t being rude. I wont reply again on this topic. It drains too much energy.

patrickcarvalho: Sorry for being off topic in your thread. I won’t be after this comment.

2 Likes