Struggling with planning drawing

Hi, I am helping a friend in the UK with their Barn Conversion application, and I am using Sketchup to help produce some initial drawings.

I am looking for a template that will help me produce something along lines the second attachment that I downloaded from a local planning portal.

Is there a template I can use for UK planning applications.

Sample.pdf (284.8 KB)

This is the 3D version of the Barn.

Barn Master.skp (188.9 KB)

This isn’t really a thing that a SketchUp template is going to help you with. This is more of a documentation thing for which LayOut would be well-suited. You would need SketchUp Pro for that. Otherwise, you could export images from SketchUp and import them into a word processor or some other program for adding things like the text.

Thank you for your reply. I have just tried exporting a Sketchup image as a JPEG and importing it. I am still within the trial period of the software so I will have a look at the LayOut function.

1 Like

Also the ‘Free’ [aka ‘Make’ ] version of SketchUp is explicitly provided, with the proviso that it is NOT to be used for ‘commercial purposes’…
Your making a ‘planning application’ sounds like one to me…

Also your attached model is set to use / dimensioned in imperial '/" - but in the UK ‘metric’ submissions have been de riguer for many years…
And of course it also lacks significant details [like its site and a few details of its expected form, that would currently make it inadmissible as a full submission anyway…
So more work is needed…
I think you might need some professional help…
Sometimes being keen on a project is not enough…

[quote=“SimonP2016, post:6, topic:31245, full:true”]
You are making an awful lot of assumptions TIG.
Your reply makes you sound like a complete idiot.
[/quote] That might be your opinion.
However, nothing I said is untrue.
Your details say you use SketchUp ‘Free’, so ‘commercial use’ is precluded [that includes anything like making a planning application on your own behalf - or a friend - [please read the ToS for clarity] ].
Even with the ‘trial’ period of Trial>Pro the results cannot be used ‘commercially’…
Also…
Your ‘imperial’ model units will not be NOT acceptable when used in a planning submission in the UK.
Your model as offered to us is also insufficient to support a UK planning application - considerably more detail is needed.
So you do need to do more work…

I may well appear to you as a ‘complete idiot’ [to you], but somehow I got to be one of the select few who are known as ‘SketchUp Sages’.
I am also an RIBA architect based in the UK, so I might just know a few relevant wrinkles…
Take criticism and advice gratefully - if you don’t, then you are fucked. [weirdly the online forum censors missed that one !]

1 Like

Not very constructive…
I am only trying to help.
If you cannot accept help [or criticism] then that is up to you…

Better to get criticism here on the drawings then coming from the local planning council people I would think. Your friend might prefer an easy process without criticism from the authorities as well.
Just my 2c - (architect in the Netherlands).

You sound like a bit of an entitled nimrod.

The folks here know much about SketchUp and are merely only trying to help you out.

Simon

Personally I have found this forum to be invaluable for a wide range of SketchUp challenges. Sounds to me like the problems you’re trying to work out here are well within the capabilities of SketchUp and layout. In fact the SketchUp / Layout platform is tailored specifically to the task.

It might be helpful to review the forum etiquette Pages here:

and do a “CTRL+Z” with your approach to forum members. If you can process the information already given through a new lens you could soon end the struggles you came to the forum with in the first place.

Respectfully…

1 Like