STL Export problem

stl
export

#1

hello all

I have a file im working on to print at shapeways (attached) I am getting a bunch of Ruby Errors when trying to use the Export STL… its only this 1 file, all my other files export fine. the window opens for me to pick the save location and file name and then the export windows just…stalls for lack of a better term.

here is my ruby console output. thanks for the help!!!

Error: #<NoMethodError: undefined method -' for nil:NilClass> C:/Users/baldylox/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/exporter.rb:224:inget_vertex_order’
C:/Users/baldylox/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/exporter.rb:128:in write_face_binary' C:/Users/baldylox/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/exporter.rb:103:incall’
C:/Users/baldylox/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/exporter.rb:103:in write_face' C:/Users/baldylox/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/exporter.rb:81:inblock in find_faces’
C:/Users/baldylox/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/exporter.rb:78:in each' C:/Users/baldylox/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/exporter.rb:78:infind_faces’
C:/Users/baldylox/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/exporter.rb:85:in block in find_faces' C:/Users/baldylox/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/exporter.rb:78:ineach’
C:/Users/baldylox/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/exporter.rb:78:in find_faces' C:/Users/baldylox/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/exporter.rb:85:inblock in find_faces’
C:/Users/baldylox/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/exporter.rb:78:in each' C:/Users/baldylox/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/exporter.rb:78:infind_faces’
C:/Users/baldylox/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/exporter.rb:85:in block in find_faces' C:/Users/baldylox/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/exporter.rb:78:ineach’
C:/Users/baldylox/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/exporter.rb:78:in find_faces' C:/Users/baldylox/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/exporter.rb:73:inexport’
C:/Users/baldylox/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/exporter.rb:317:in block in do_options' C:/Users/baldylox/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/events.rb:82:incall’
C:/Users/baldylox/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/events.rb:82:in `block in trigger_event’

N Bobcat T190.skp (1.2 MB)


#2

Few of the base level components in the model are solid and there are reversed faces. Those would give you problems for 3D printing. There’s also a lot of nesting levels, many of which don’t make sense because there’s only one component in multiple wrappers.

The seat is a good example. I made a copy of it away from the rest of the model.

The seat is a component called penkki#1 it is wrapped in a container called Penkki 1#2 along with some loose geometry for the arm rests and then that component is wrapped in another container called seat#2. The base level component isn’t a solid and the blue faces indicate they are reversed.


#3

When I open your file, SketchUp raises the dire “Don’t Panic!” dialog, indicating that a scan of the file indicated issues that may cause downstream problems. I let it fix, and it reported literally hundreds of zero-length edges, invalid faces (which could have been due to merged vertices), etc. The “fixed” model lost various faces. However, it will export as stl. Meshlab gets the attached (which also shows that some parts were damaged by the “fix” - e.g. the side of the cage is missing).

This suggests to me that aside from the structural issues Dave describes, your model has a lot of really tiny geometry that is choking SketchUp. However, I would still consider it a bug for the stl exporter to crash as you report rather than trapping issues and telling you about them.


#4

im not an expert so a lot of you both said above doesn’t make sense to me.

i removed the chair. i was trying to use a model from 3dwarehouse as my own chair ive used before is ugly. lol This did not fix the problem.

ive blown it up to 1:1 scale to look for anything odd. i highlighted the whole model, intersected faces and ran the Inspect and Repair solids extensions as i usually do. nothing is making a difference.

I would expect some small sub mm measurements as this is being printed in 1:160 scale in mm via shapeways. i have other models smaller than this and they exported just fine.

kinda lost. i dont want to start over :frowning:

edit: i went through each component and group and Inspect/Repair tool. this removed more that was not being fixed highlight the whole model. still not working, but im sure it removed a lot of unwanted lines via internal faces.

edit2: found “where” the problem is. The Cab. so ill rebuild that and see what happens. when all else fails. export 1 piece at a time until it works lol