Spirix 'L' shape render question

I came across the Spirix extension in my search for a way to extrude a rather complex shape along a helical path (don’t ask :slight_smile:) and first of all I want to say a HUGE thanks to Jim H. for that incredibly versatile app. Quite impressive.
I did run into a bit of an issue that I can’t seem to resolve with it. If I start with an L-shaped figure and use the following settings:

I get a result with some exterior faces missing and some diagonal interior faces. I’ve even had issues with a square where one of the 4 side faces is missing and the semicircular extruded shape looks like a channel and not a square, curved pipe.

I’ve tried playing around with the various inputs and searched for similar issues on this forum and on the web, but to no avail. Would anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks so much,
Rich

make it much larger and scale it down afterwards…

john

It’s difficult to know what might be causing your problem without more information. If your geometry is small, then @john_drivenupthewall’s suggestion to first scale your geometry larger should solve the problem. Once it’s created, you can scale it back down again.

Posting the model helps, as well. Use the upload icon to upload your model:

Thank you so much for the replies.

The ‘L’ is a 10"x10" square with a 5"x5" square removed. Is that large enough?

Here’s a better picture of the before and after that I’m seeing:

Here’s the model.
test1.skp (1.1 MB)

The plugin requires that you create geometry “head-to-tail” before grouping. Any editing before you group it will result in possible corruption of the input geometry. In your model, I deleted the Layer 0 MakerBot geometry and traced over your existing L. Then I used the Spirix Create Group function to create a second group G2. The face disappears when the group is created.

Ah. That was it. Thanks so much for the help!

And great work on that plugin. Incredibly useful.

Rich

1 Like