Spacebar doesn't complete command and return to arrow

I have a student who has the listed problem. He’ll draw a shape and normally hitting the spacebar will complete the command and return to the selection arrow. His will not. He has to physically select the arrow from the toolbar.
Is there a fix for this?

Did he changed the shortcut for the selection tool?

I don’t think so. I think it worked that way as he started working. But it was not a new file.

I assume this is the Tools/Select shortcut. Our template indicates the spacebar for that.

I just opened his file (on my machine) and it worked fine. Is the shortcut setting tied to the file or machine?

It’s in the preferences of Sketchup and not a part of the model.

On Mac, when Accessibility is turned on, it’ll intercept space bar. You’ll see this by System Preferences->Keyboard and the Shortcuts tab, where tab moves keyboard focus between “All Controls”. If you change this to “Text boxes and lists only”, or type Ctrl-F7, it wont interfere. However, you miss the little blue silhouette and the ability to use space bar to click on the blue-halo selected item.

Hello, I have the same issue, I tried setting the short to another key (W) which worked, then tried to set it back to “Space” and still doesn’t work. (MBP "16, OS 10.15.3, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M, SketchUp Make). Is there a way to fix this ? I do prefer the “Space” after 12 years using SketchUp.

1 Like

Did you try doing what Barry suggested?

System Preferences may have changed since, I am not seeing what Barry is describing.

1 Like

Are you looking in the operating system’s System Preferences?

1 Like

It has changed, and it took some tracking down! The check box in the lower left of the keyboard shortcuts is the Catalina way of doing things. You also can toggle the setting with ctrl-F7, or fn-ctrl-F7 on smaller keyboards.

You can get to the right setting quickly by typing ‘short’ into the preferences search box, then select Keyboard Shortcuts from the list.

1 Like

Thank you so much !! At first it didn’t work, but after quitting SU and opening again the change did take effect. Have a good weekend.

Thank you SO MUCH! This has been driving me crazy for the last month!