Some ideas for changes to Layout Dimensions

that’s what it does now, you need to expand on how it can differ…

john

1 Like

…and I almost forgot the biggest one: dimensions that align with 3D views! Perspective detail drawings and exploded views are SO helpful for my cabinetmakers in getting their minds around complex assemblies, but they need dimensions. As is, I have to draw top, front, side, and maybe some sections along with the 3D to get the dimensions across. (Or I use the dimensions in Sketchup, but see any number of threads here for the problems/limitations of that approach.)

4 Likes

Apologies, I meant my wishlist for Layout.

1 Like

Is this message really addressed to me?

Somehow it doesn’t seem that your answer fits into what I wrote, so I’m assuming it was probably adressed at other user.

Not for you. sorry

Are you talking about how when you cut/copy and paste, the pasted object is always put back exactly where it came from, rather than letting you position it where you want (with the mouse)?

No problem, but I’m glad it’s clear. I’m also using LO+SU for arch and construction documentation.

“Are you talking about how when you cut/copy and paste, the pasted object
is always put back exactly where it came from, rather than letting you
position it where you want (with the mouse)?”

Yes

Paste in Layout works like Sketchup’s “paste in place” command rather than the standard “paste.” Which I find more useful than not for the things I do with paste, but I agree it’d be even more useful to have both options.

1 Like

CAD Had a nice copy with base point. This would go very nicelly along a paste with the base point on the mouse inference.

Trimble has a great opportunity to take a lot of business from Revit and Archicad by making SU and particularly LO a more developed tool.
It feels like the dev team do not integrate their development process with live architectural environments in a systematic way.
This may not be correct - I don’t wish to be unfair - but if correct, such an approach would help to seize the opportunity.
A big chunk of the profession is between 5 and 20 staff and is yet to make the move away from 2d tools such as Autocad - and SU LO is very well placed to offer itself as a solution when moving.
The opportunity won’t be there for ever, because almost all Architecture business must eventually move to 3d (not to mention BIM) in the next couple of years or so - and if SU LO is not robust enough, then it will be the big boys who get the installed user base.

4 Likes

I agree.

Even if Sketchup is a much bigger beast than architectural software as there’s a lot to deviate the team away from architecture.

What I think about it is that there are a lot of aspects that are just that little off. Is nothing new, just a fix here and a fine tunning there.

Overall Layout has the greater issues, but it has seen also more improvement in the right direction over the years, even if a bit slow.

1 Like

I’m actually hoping they are brewing something that leverages their purchase of Tekla Structures, giving a robust BIM solution without degrading the simplicity of SU.
That would be a coup.

I also like that aproach of a BIM center outside of Sketchup. But the intuitiveness of Sketchup beats away any other software.

So, I’d rather have a very powerful XRef manage plugin inside sketchup than Tekla for my design work. Then I could have a central hub model at Tekla, managed by the client or a BIM team, where the result of my design could be sent to.

I’d love a clash solution for Sketchup, but working with Tekla directly… I think not…

Hi all-

I finally got a chance to poke my head back into this conversation. Thanks to everyone who shared their thoughts!

I can’t give specifics, but I can say that the team has been working on a number of improvements that are mentioned in this thread. We’ll make sure that everything else is represented in our issue-tracking system for the future.

Thanks,
Marc

9 Likes

Marc, if by any chance you’re dealing with global styles, use the concept in other LO elements too.

Thanks for letting us know you’re considering what’s being said here.

2 Likes

Is there some way that dimensions and text in an SU model could instantly become LO entities on import into LO?

SU style guides in LO would be very useful for dims, linework etc.

Could think of a lot of other suggestion too, what is the best way to communicate these to the folks at SU Trimble.

Is there any way an SU section cut could just show the section cut lines in LO, like a group from section cut but directly in LO.

Hope this makes sense, my Email is arch.outline @gmail.com

I have been using SU since SU6for architectural work but only just started with LO.

1 Like

You can Create Group from Slice ( Right-click on a Section plane) and copy-paste directly in LayOut .
In SketchUp : right-click on section-plane, choose ‘Create Group from Slice’ The slice Group is now in the selection( check entity info) and you can Edit->Copy or Cut the group.
open Layout : choose new or existing file., and go to edit menu : Paste

Or you create the group from slice as Mike advices and then you isolate it on a scene and you have a live link from LO and SU. That’s what I do.

With a live API in LO making such a plugin would be fairly easy :stuck_out_tongue: .

1 Like