[Solved] Attributes and Scaling for wood-making purpose

My apologies, again, @DaveR. I was working on my own version, and had only looked at your original which I thought at a quick glance WAS in inches.

Just catching up with later posts. Will look harder at how you have sorted out the units issue - I ALWAYS have trouble with them when not inches.

I took a while to work out how to see the dialogue you showed immediately above my previous post.

I didn’t display the LenX, LenY or LenZ attributes of the overall cabinet, so only had Height, Width, Depth, and PanelThickness showing.

And I only discovered by accident that I had still got my DC units set to the default Inches

I accidentally clicked on the ‘Inch’ image top right, and it changed to Centimetres. Making the Default units cm.

I now realise that if I WERE to have used LenX, LenY and LenZ attributes for the Cabinet (as well as Width, Depth and Height, or as you did, just use them with the text changed in Options) top level component, I could have changed the formulae for panel sizes to use those values instead of Width, Depth and Height. And then I could have left some or all of the Scale handles enabled, to allow scaling as well as direct input of the overall size.

I always learn something from your posts, @DaveR, and thank you for it.

1 Like

Well Thank you everyone! finally made exactly what I needed!

Many thanks to john_mcclenahan , JimD, sjdorst for the help, advices and models.

Special thanks to DaveR for his very clear model which helped me learn the importance of each component’s axis as for the point of origin and use of function to determine the lengh of wood planks! I sucessfully repeated your model, and also was able to made one totally new with a back planks that fits the top/bottom and sides planks perfectly!

I will use the saved time to explore the CutList extension you suggested right away, but we can consider my issue SOLVED :slight_smile:

1 Like

FYI: Metric units in Dynamic Components do not work and everything reverts to inches if the “Display units format” box is unchecked in the Window menu>Model Info>Units dialog. It is a long standing bug in the DC extension.

Thanks, I’ll try to remember that next time I’m working with DCs.

I”m teacher and professional dynamic component debeloper.
Send me a copy pf your drawong and i will help you.
Regards,

Dynamic components have limitations just like anything, I started with DCS way back when and I reached the full capacity, you can do what you mention, however, when you get past that point you will want more, and that is where you may find you need more grunt. I created a full design/estimating program, it is probably too comprehensive (and expensive) for what you are looking for, yet I do not suppose you need to use all of it? There is a free trial here I have had a lot of people only need specific tools, and I am thinking of breaking it down into smaller tools for individual trades to reduce the cost.
You can use this tool to place any size wood or even steel, you can associate material cost, labour cost and margin and it will report sizes individually or in sets with quantities of similar sizes. I did a quick screen grab GIF on one of the tools. I think this may do what you are looking for? Woodworking%203

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.