Software Companies and Drug Companies Use Similar Tactics

In my opinion, SketchUp has been iterated so many times already that it doesn’t need much more software development (except fixing bug splats). I think the saying goes, “if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it.” The software development costs of adding new features might not be worth it, considering how good SketchUp is already. It’s easy to use and gets the job done. What’s not to like? SketchUp already had dashed lines (hidden lines) and adding the unnecessary new line types just created more bugs that need to be fixed (layers window takes up too much screen for some users now?). SketchUp could’ve just made a line type extension, so people could download that feature if desired.

I support SketchUp’s inclusion of a subscription license, but I hope they keep their classic license available too. The SketchUp Team is full of nice people. I’m sure they want the best experience for SketchUp users, but SketchUp needs to make profit to stay in business. A huge monopoly like Google could afford to give away the software for free, but I think it also was good advertising for Google. Just think about all the times people talked about “Google SketchUp” and how much that increased Google’s presence as a household name. I just wish Trimble was financially able to do the same thing because charitable services definitely improve society. But I’m still really satisfied with Trimble SketchUp because they’ve kept SketchUp Make (my favorite program) free and kept the perpetual licenses available.

I think the planned obsolescence of products is a flaw in capitalism. Planned obsolescence is profitable, yet totally immoral. I think there should be laws against planned obsolescence because it’s similar to fraud. Not to mention the obsolete products filling up landfills and degrading our environment.

I agree. I think comparisons tend to distract from the actual situation and make it more abstract.

I think part of peoples’ frustration comes from the uncertainty change brings about SketchUp’s future. I think most people liked the way SketchUp was already, with SketchUp Make being free and SketchUp Pro being a perpetual license. It was a good deal and it still is!

I totally agree and I’m extremely grateful for SketchUp and all the amazing free plugins from developers. You all have improved so many lives.

I think it’s just their way of saying a $150 extension is out of their financial comfort level even though they really really want your extension. According to a 2017 GOBankingRates survey, more than half of Americans (57 percent) had less than $1,000. Though numbers vary depending on the survey. Almost 30 percent of households have less than $1,000 saved, MagnifyMoney finds.

2 Likes

Sorry, I was NOT referring to the pharmacy companies. Yes, they deserve a profit but not a monopoly or unfair profits. My bad on not being specific.

1 Like

If we’re really honest, SketchUp is a minor player in CAD terms. It can’t cut it for what a professional engineer or architect wants.

I loved it for quick prototyping, but since Trimble got hold of it it’s become less attractive than Fusion 360.

I won’t be giving Trimble any of my money and if there’s no free version, I won’t be using SketchUp any more.

Your statement makes zero sense, if you’re using a free version how would you be giving them any of your money anyway?

To be fair there has been development under Trimble’s ownership and the product certainly isn’t any worse than it was under Google or @Last.

4 Likes

Yeah…Trimble is worth OVER $10B with a revenue of $2.7B ('16 figures). Just keeping it honest :wink: Trimble could probably give SU away and still stay in the black.

1 Like

I agree as well :+1:

1 Like

To me this is a BIG part of the success of SU much like the plethora of free LISP extensions that have been developed for ACAD over the decades. I know back in '96 when I started my career the day I discovered lisp routines on the net changed my life. Same can be said with SU and it’s extension developers. Knowing Acad and SU have keep me employed through some dark times.
So MANY talented people have extended the abilities of these programs, to me this is why they are the success that they both are.
Someone on this forum posted something about we users being spoiled and I believe that they are correct :wink:

2 Likes

It only makes zero sense if you come at it with preconceptions…

If they stop with a free version, I won’t be paying for it. There, make sense now?

The development hasn’t added anything I wanted and we’ve lost some import/export features

Now I know you’re just trolling.

3 Likes

What a ridiculous response

If they stop with a free version, I won’t have to pay any more for others to have it, and all the development resources will go to my paid version. I have never benefited in any way of the existence of a free version.

2 Likes

Really depends hon how you look at it…have you ever pulled a model from the 3d warehouse? What’s the chance of that model being created by a free user.
Are you paying for all the extensions you’re using? Any chance those were created by a free user…

I’ll happily use my SketchUp 2017 make looong into the future…

2 Likes

So you think that developing the free version robs paid users of resources?

It’s the same version, but with some options turned off.

1 Like

I mean, NO ONE else makes a free version and/or as well as a paid version…
DraftSight
Form Z
BricsCAD Shape
Fusion 360
Blender
Sculptris
DesignSpark
No one :wink:

I have a free version of Fusion 360. And a bunch of other Autodesk apps. Three years free license.

What was that you were saying?

2 Likes

yeah,I remember a meeting with some fooks that had a subscription for about 7000 dollars for a program that generated some roof plans, (a kind of truss-generator with boarding and isolation included), and I was like ‘yeah, I know a guy who writes extensions for SketchUp that would do just that…’ :grinning:

Typical psychologic, If you have made a choise, your mindset is set to justify that choise.

1 Like

No, I was saying that other companies offer free versions at the same time offering paid versions. Every one of those also allows the free version to be used for profit work. Trimble can do whatever they want with their products. Just pointing out that the narrative of a free version killing the paid is not always true, nothing more.

I doubt that. Either it’s not every one, or the free version does not do everything without limitations (limited features, limited number of edits/uses, 24h reliability, etc.). Some companies achieve to cross-finance (e.g. open source) software development entirely by optional support contracts or customizations, but then there must exist users who deem such contracts essential.

I think the above argument should be understood as “a fully free version without any limitations kills the paid”, and indeed then nobody would find reasons to use the paid version.

From your argument that there could/should be a free version for commercial work, it is hard not to believe you want to make profit without giving the makers of your tools a chance to be profitable.

Well there were speculations that AD even encouraged illegal usage, use in virtual environments etc. until they had made the system bulletproof and billed those with fines for illegal use of EULA…

That’s the startup method: Get billions from investors until your startup has world domination with a free service, then become profitable (which is easier after having starved out the competition).