Software Companies and Drug Companies Use Similar Tactics

You are right Dave, I should have replied to Aerilius, sorry.

Still, most bugs never get fixed within the period of that release, and usually you need to pay for the next release in order to get that bug fixed, if you are lucky.

I find this behavior so unfair, being the main reason why I prefer open source software over private software.

1 Like

So what version of SketchUp are you using? Your profile is incomplete.

I’m using SketchPro 2017, but the bug with the .dwg was an example, I wasn’t implying that there is a .dwg issue with Pro 2017, though there is one I read on the forums exporting .dwg from Layout… I hope they fix it before the 2020 release.

1 Like

All software have bugs - including open source. Some software vendors put out free maintenance update - some do not.

I wouldn’t try to come up with a car or drug analogy to software - it really isn’t the same thing.

2 Likes

Yes, all software have bugs. But with open source software there is no point of releasing a new upgrade in order to get money. They get money because people enjoy the software and donate in order to improve it and to support developers. Also with open source software, roadmaps are public and you know what to expect. I’m not saying there are no exceptions, there are a few.

4 Likes

I have found via AutoDesk, that the software companies build a loyal base. once they have that they can abuse it until the next best thing shows up. I dropped all my Autodesk subscriptions once I saw SketchUp. Saved me $4,000 a year in subscription cost, NOW Trimble has found the golden goose and wants to milk it for all they can get. My answer is to keep the latest subscription that I had before the scalping began. Then I can still use 3dsMAX, AutoCAD and REVIT, and maximize my Sketchup. I’m an old dude, I do NOT do new software because it is new. I will continue to do my maintenance package until it too turns into a subscription package. Then I am getting off the boat Trimble. I have everything I need to produce a decent set of drawings, why should I follow you down your Yellow Brick Road and continue to upgrade every time YOU think it is better?

1 Like

If the bug fixes and software improvements are worth it, users will pay for the latest version. However, software companies found it difficult to make improvements or bug fixes of sufficient value that they could charge a lot of money for them. By refusing to sell perpetual licenses, they could force users to pay more money whether they think the improvement are worth it or not. The push by software companies to rent, rather than sell their products is more profitable for the companies and a pretty one sided deal. (Two sided, lets the buyer decide what is worth paying more for.)

4 Likes

Well, SketchUp still sells perpetual licenses. The best way to protest against subscriptions is probably to buy perpetual.

4 Likes

I bought perpetual licenses. As long as the company offers them, I think they are operating in a fair way. When they stop offering perpetual licenses I think they are exercising unfair control. Of course they do that because they make more money.

1 Like

I’m guessing that software piracy may also be part of Trimble’s decision to have a product that expires or online version, this is understandable.

1 Like

I think stakeholders are more intrested in ‘steady, predictable sources of revenue’ instead of ‘let ‘s see if this year’s maintenance release will get the most of it’

1 Like

There was no high need for piracy, since Google set the product free.
This plus the abuse of standalone (multiple user on one perpetual) might have to do with it, too

Clearly a predictable revenue stream is preferable for the company. However, it means that they don’t have to produce improvements that are appropriately valuable to the user. It’s a conundrum.

Some companies have done OK relying on improved versions. For my part, I’ve dropped some good software because they switched to subscription (rental) only. I’m not willing to use software that will suddenly stop working unless I pay a new fee.

2 Likes

Well today I saw AutoDesk compared to “drug dealers”, LMAO indeed! Wow, I know it’s “hip” to sh*t on AutoDesk here but today it has reached a new high (low).
Sorry but comparing a software company to a drug company is as poor an analogy as to compare software to a car. IMHO as always LOL

Because once the car is paid off you NEVER put in another dime to keep using it, right? No continued “maintenance” to keep it on the road or fuel costs? Oil changes, fuel, tires, brake pads, etc just never wear out? :wink:

1 Like

I believe I wrote drug companies not dealers. Also I stated I have no problem with paying for maintenance. My point has more to do with having leverage and taking full advantage. It also is about understanding the moving parts of the economics. :wine_glass:

1 Like

Like being a profitable company? :wink:

Yeah it’s great that they’re making a profit from it…it’s just that some become overly greedy about it…

Insulin and epipen come to mind

4 Likes

There is no “free lunch”, unless it is government handouts, which is just coming out of taxpayer pockets. However, I do agree that some corporations are overly greedy. The drug companies are an excellent example and I’m sure some software companies can easily be added to that group as well.

SketchUp is certainly not one of them. Whether you choose the subscription licensing or the permanent license you are getting a steal of a deal in my opinion, especially when you consider what you typically pay for other comparable software out there.

Just like with any other business, a software developer needs to have enough consistent revenue to keep the lights turned on (ie. development, support, utilities, employees etc…) Without this revenue the business simply goes away and then so does your product that was provided by them. It may work for a while but eventually a new operating system or something will come along rendering it obsolete.

As a full time SketchUp developer I’m struggling to make ends meet while maintaining my sole focus on the improvements of my plugins. Additional revenue would certainly stoke the fire and allow me to bring on additional help and thereby accelerate the development. However, trying to pry more money from my customers is a tricky business.

If you raise your prices too much or go to a subscription system then you risk alienating a good number of potential clients/customers, so rather than gain more revenue you will probably actually lose. Finding the right balance between maximizing your revenue while at the same time providing a good value for your customers money is a delicate balancing act.

The cost of your software has to be viewed as a fair price by your customer base. Another important factor to consider is that certain customer bases are conditioned to certain price levels. If you told your typical SketchUp user or designer/architect that they need to pay $1,000 for a yearly subscription to your plugin or product they will probably turn their noses. However, that same number probably won’t even faze your typical AutoCad user.

I do think the SketchUp community as a whole has been rather spoiled with excellent pricing from SketchUp and also some very gratuitous plugins/offerings from SketchUp developers.

Take a look at a few of the comments on this video, granted most of these individuals are probably not design professionals but the “free lunch” attitude is certainly there:

2 Likes

Really like what you have been doing with your plugin… can’t imagine the amount of work that went into it… hopefully one day it will payoff…

Many use SketchUp recreationally so $1000 would defiantly be hard pill to swallow… really don’t think SketchUp is being overly greedy unless they go subscription base only… giving they’ve been a community based software for so long