Smooth Contour Lines

Hi,

I am using some contour data, but it contains odd sharp edges line in the picture, this is a result of the resolution being used. These seem to be arranged over the whole model so that when a surface is created using sandbox, it leaves obvious lines across the surface.

I am wondering if there is an easy way to smooth these out. I have tried using the Fredo6 plugins and smoothing the lines, but the issue is that when smoothing a whole model it also distorts contours in other areas which did not need smoothing. It crosses them over each other. I could use this plugin and individually select all the sharp edges, but this would take hours as the model is huge.

I am wondering if there is a way to smooth the contours, so that it follows a similar profile to the contours on either side of it, this could then be applied to the whole model and would not allow contours to cross over, but still achives the result of removing the sharp corners.

thanks in advance

Curvizard by Fredo6 from Sketchucation has a tool to do that.

Should have been clear in my original post, that is the Fredo6 plugin I have already used and it works to a degree, but I’d have to select thousands of individual squared off sections to make it work. As when i apply it to the whole model, it makes a mess of other areas which did not need smoothing.

You could use a window selection to limit the selection and weld those edges before running Curvizard.

Thanks, I will give that a try, I think it will still be very time consuming though.

Probably the easier, faster thing wuold be to start with better contour data in the first place. If you can’t get that, though, you’re going to have to spend the time cleaning it up.

You might also have a look at TopoShaper but it probably won’t be any faster.

You can select just the part you want it to smooth and create a group, get in the group and use smooth edges tool from curvizard.