SketchUp Web based - first impression

I there,

When I learned that SketchUp heavyweight client won’t be supported anymore and replaced by a web based interface, I’ve been more than sceptical…

I’ve used the new SketchUp for two days, for a new project, and I must admit I’ve been really surprised. Using it is really smooth, even if my iMac is becoming quite old :slight_smile:

However, 100$ a year is a price I’m really to support, but I really don’t know what this version is offering more. I will take some time to enquiry.

Just one negative point, when using it with Safari, the toolbar located on left hand side cannot be moved, and it often happens that the auto hide shortcut bar is coming front, this is very disturbing… Don’t know if you guys have the same issue.

Good luke to this new version.

Cheers

2 Likes

El Capitan will still run SU ‘desktop’ or SU ‘web’…

‘Shop’ is ‘web’ for commercial use and is stripped down compared to the ‘desktop’ version…

Safari runs ‘web’ ok but it is optimised for Chrome…

Chrome, however has your nvidia card on a blacklist so it won’t be brilliant…

Graphics Feature Status

• Canvas: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable
  • Flash: Software only. Hardware acceleration disabled
  • Flash Stage3D: Software only. Hardware acceleration disabled
  • Flash Stage3D Baseline profile: Software only. Hardware acceleration disabled
  • Compositing: Software only. Hardware acceleration disabled
  • Metal: Disabled
  • Multiple Raster Threads: Disabled
  • Out-of-process Rasterization: Disabled
  • OpenGL: Disabled
  • Hardware Protected Video Decode: Disabled
  • Rasterization: Software only. Hardware acceleration disabled
  • Skia Renderer: Disabled
  • Video Decode: Software only. Hardware acceleration disabled
  • Viz Display Compositor: Enabled
  • WebGL: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable
  • WebGL2: Software only, hardware acceleration unavailable

john

It’s $119 per year for Shop, and if you’re using SketchUp to create income for yourself, you do need to have one of the paid for licenses. If you can imagine that in a year of using SketchUp you will get at additional $119 of income, then it paid for itself. For most people who do use SketchUp as part of their job, hopefully it created at least $299 of income in a year. For those people, they get the web version, and also the desktop version. Is that the version that you learned was not being supported anymore?

For the auto hide thing, do you mean Safari’s auto show sidebar? You’ll find a lot of complaints about that online, not just to do with SketchUp. Until Apple make that optional, or we make the tools movable, you could work not in full screen. You would lose a small amount of vertical work space, but at least the sidebar won’t keep showing.