Any issues with running Sketchup Pro 2018 on a 2015 iMac Retina 5K?

This is my first post here so I apologize if I am asking a question that has been asked before. I am considering buying Sketchup 2018 to use with my late 2015 iMac Retina 5K. Although a review of the hardware and software requirements seems to indicate that it will be compatible I am wondering if anyone is successfully working with the Sketchup Pro 2018 on a 2015 iMac?

Processor: 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 8 GB 1867 Mhz DDR3
OS x El Capitan Version 10.11.6.
Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M395 2048 MB

Thanks in advance.
Dan

ping: @john_mcclenahan isn’t that what you have?

Thanks John. I have not purchased the Sketchup Pro yet - just checking to see if there are any compatibility issues I should know about before I purchase it.

Thanks,
Dan

Sorry Steve - I didn’t notice that you were asking John.

Dan

Yes, it’s the same basic hardware. I have more memory (total 24GB) but same processor etc.

I started with El Capitan, and have upgraded successively to Sierra, then High Sierra.

And from SU 2016, to 2017 and now 2018.

I did have problems for a while - mostly when using SU - when the machine would randomly restart in the middle of working. That was eventually traced to faulty original memory.

I still get occasional bugsplats but very rarely now.

SU 2018 works fine on this configuration.

Only on a VERY large model I can run into performance issues. If I have left Outliner and/or Component browser open, it can take a very long time (20 min or more) to open a 450MB model.

Scott Baker (@Newthinking2) has an I7 processor, which copes better than my I5.

For everything else, it works fine.

1 Like

Thank you John. For the near-term I don’t expect to be creating models that large or complicated. I will be using it initially for designing a deck and a bathroom. Would you recommend going ahead and upgrading the OS to High Sierra or just trying to use the Sketchup Pro with the existing configuration?

Dan

Also, do you think I will need more memory?

Dan

I see no reason not to from the point of view of using SU, but check if any other programs that are important to you will still work under High Sierra.

And read the release notes to see if any of the new features could be useful for you, and be an incentive to upgrade.

Not just to run SU for your size of model, no. I got extra for mine so as to be able to run several Virtual Machines for other purposes. Some other work I do needs a program that only runs under Windows 7 or 10, and I occasionally like to run Linux to understand it better, rather than because I need it.

I have the same laptop almost but with 16GB RAM. If it’s an option I would upgrade just to be safe, I often run out of memory when working on large projects and have to move onto my PC instead but my use case is probably a lot different that yours (Photoshop + Illustrator + Sketchup).

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.