SketchUp Viewer version 5.5 released!

Hi all,

I’m pleased to announce that SketchUp Viewer for iOS v5.5 is now available via the Apple App Store. We’re excited that this release includes a big 'ol pile of updates based on the list of things that you’ve asked us to improve or that you’ve found confusing about the previous version of the app.

A couple of highlights related to this release include:

• The home screen now offers a recent models list that includes models that are saved on your device alongside models that are stored in Trimble Connect.**
    • Any files that you’ve recently worked on (and saved) in SketchUp for Web are available automatically and instantly from the iOS viewer app home screen.
    • When opening a model that is saved in Trimble Connect, the app will also automatically check to see whether a new version exists and if so, will download that latest version automatically.
  • A more sensible, native Trimble Connect project/file browsing experience.
  • The SketchUp Viewer app now supports both portrait and landscape orientations.
  • All new toolbar and panel designs offer a sneak peek at what’s in store for SketchUp for iPad. (More on that coming soon!)
  • The AR model viewing capability has been redesigned to offer a simpler, more streamlined experience, and models are now rendered more realistically when viewed in AR.
  • Most of the panels (Entity Info, Shadows, and especially Styles) now offer additional capabilities.

A quick note about the UI/UX (since a few people have already emailed in to ask): When using SketchUp Viewer on your phone. We’ve reformatted the main toolbar such that the tools menu is nested under the Select tool. Tap the Select tool to reveal the rest of the Tools toolbar (including Tape Measure and AR Model viewing).

** With SketchUp Viewer it is of course also possible to view SketchUp models that are stored in other cloud services. For the best experience, we recommend adding your preferred file service to the Files app and then using the Files app to browse that cloud service and open your SketchUp files in SketchUp Viewer from there. For all other cases, e.g. when opening SketchUp files that are attached to emails, or when opening files from other apps, you can use the iOS Open In function to choose to open files in SketchUp Viewer. Fun tip, sending files to your iOS device via AirDrop works too!

5 Likes

I very much like the changing panels and new icons!

1 Like

Really great :+1:

New cloud connection it is like magic, I find my old projects here, I think it’s was lost.

If Trimble Connect work more correctly it is real good job guys!

@nikita.mikhaylov Thanks for the feedback and for pointing out the translation error. I’ve gone ahead and filed that issue. :+1:

I can’t upload models on sketchup viewer now! Can you please fix this asap!!

Any timing for an Android release ?

Global market share!

ref Android vs iOS Market Share 2020: Stats and Facts | MobileApps.com

PS,… just tried… cannot sign in to Sketchup Viewer on my Samsung TabS4 using my Trimble Sketchup account details

1. I really like the new version. Getting better!

2. When will the size of a component be displayed in the entity info? Or visibility of attributes.

3. It seems the new version of anti-aliasing is not perfect.

4. Why do I need to log in so often? Why isn’t offline work supported? This is nonsense. Isn’t it just google for data collection?

@stanton_123 I think we were emailing earlier about the trouble we caused you by switching from automatically displaying models from 3D Warehouse in the previous version of the app, to now displaying models that reside in Trimble Connect. I found this article on the Connect Help Center, about uploading files, in case it’s helpful: Trimble Connect for Browser User Guide - Uploading Files

Hi Gary,
Thanks for sharing that research. Sorry to say that at this time we do not have any announcements that we’re prepared to make about future versions of our Android app. Perhaps we could spin up a separate thread over in the Android category on this topic (and the Sign In issues you’re seeing on your TabS4)?

Thanks for the feedback @usernam.

1. That’s great to hear.
  2. Are there any attributes in particular that you’re wanting to have available in Entity Info?
  3. I’m not entirely sure what you’re referring to here. Could you please be a bit more specific?
  4. You should only need to Sign in once every 30-days. Are you having to sign in more frequently than that? Or does once a month feel like it’s too often?

I was going to ask about #3 as well. Here is a super close up view of the antialiasing. It seems correct.

1. Sizes. That would be very good!
  2. In a more distant view, the lines are thicker. (ipad pro 10.5) sorry translate
  3. It’s too common! I am an Onedrive subscriber, maybe I need to log in every six months and it is safe.

And we store much more important files in a cloud. I feel unreasonable. It made it impossible to work because there was no internet at all.

This would be a great app if we could edit models, model stuff in the sofa and markup our models on the go :wink: :rofl:

1 Like

I don’t see an easy way to install the old viewer, to check on edge thicknesses. The new viewer is radically different, and now shows edges in the way that the desktop app does. Which means that edges are the same thickness at all distances. That would give the illusion of them getting thicker as you move further back.

Edges do seem to be about 3 pixels across now, maybe that’s an increase from the old version?

the mobile Viewer f. Android requires the Chrome browser sothat this cannot be deactivated even if using another system browser.

Is there any chance of adding Tags to the desktop SketchUp Viewer?
My boss was a bit disappointed that he couldn’t turn the Tags on and off on the project I was working on. He has gone back to viewing the files on a cad program, but I have to export it as a DWG, so the file is quite big.

“maybe that’s an increase from the old version?”

I think yes. But I can’t prove it anymore.
This dresser certainly didn’t look like this:

You could to check if Profiles are turn on. That would make some edges be a lot thicker.

A couple of additional specifics to add to Colin’s suggestion:
Tap to open the Styles panel over on the right side of the screen.
Then tap to open the Edges sub-menu. From there you’ll see options to turn Edges on/off, turn Profiles on/off, and/or control the thickness of the profiles.