SketchUp Pro 2019 = Let's talk about Saving

I think that could work if you had filenames that specified clearly which job they referred to. I have the bad habit of having similar file names across different projects and identifying them by their folder. I quite accept that it is probably a habit I should get out of!

If Automator could be used to do this, is it equally possible for SU to have the option built in instead of relying on third party software?

1 Like

I did write that new post about auto save and backup files:

https://forums.sketchup.com/t/auto-save-and-backup-file-refresher

1 Like

Hey… so. dumb question, but say i hit no instead of yes on the save dialogue.
Since the autosave is deleted after I close sketchup normally, are you saying i’m boned?

I don’t think the auto save should be purged on close. If I remember correctly that was a bug fixed some minor versions ago, but I could be wrong.

1 Like

Something is happening here in 2020 that wasn’t happening before, I can confirm. I use VPN to connect to a remote network drive and it seems to be a 50/50 chance that the SketchUp file gets “stuck,” into the drive thinking it’s open by another user when I go back to re-open it. None of my other software does this. Must be a temp. file being created somewhere I’m not aware of. If there is, I would like to change that default save location behavior.

The files are not deleted, You are correct, at lease as far as it has worked on my systems and the three computers that I move between.

Just how big are your SketchUp files compared to the ones you create with “other software”? When working over unreliable network connections, with VPN adding further complications, the chance of errors is multiplied in comparison to working in a stable environment.
The firm where I work recommends using the VPN only to download files to the disk drive in the user’s workstation, and to work only with locally stored files, partly from safety reasons and to economise on network traffic.

2 Likes