Sketchup CPU usage in idle mode is at least 5%

I am using Sketchup 2021, latest Version SketchUpPro-2021-1-279-89-de on a Win10 HP Envy NB with 8GB of RAM adn a CPU Intel Core i7 5500U @ 2.4GHz.

I find, that Sketchup becomes a bit slower with every version.
Currently, when Sketchup is opened and an empty model (with Sumele only) is loaded and I do not touch the keyboard, mouse or Space mouse, Sketchup uses roughly 5% CPU all the time. ( I also removed all Plugins for this test)

What is Sketchup doing in the background when I am not doing anything?

In addition, if I load a 35MB large model, then Sketchup uses constantly 11% CPU.
When having the select tool active and I am moving the mouse, but not clicking anywhere, Sketchup uses 30% CPU.
I understand, that the mouse positioning triggers processing, but the idle CPU usage of 5-11% is not a good sign to me.

That does not sound good.
I see 0% CPU and GPU in the task manager when I don’t move the mouse or SU is out of focus. “Heavy” modell, plugins enabled.

(i7-8850H @\2.6GHz , Quadro P2000)

What else is running in the background ? AV apps?

It sounds like the OP is looking specifically at SketchUp. An AV would affect the total usage, but would it inflate the usage by a separate process such as SketchUp? On my Mac I see SketchUp using about 0.6-8% CPU when idle, pretty much independent of the model size.

Thanks. From your answers it looks it is not a general problem everyone has. I will reboot and only run Sketchup and check, if gets down to below 1% at least from time to time.

On my Windoze machine, I am seeing 0 to 1% for SketchUp fluctuating, mostly at 0. Total CPU utilization is 2 to 3% when at idle.

I have meanwhile updated to the SketchupPro version that was released yesterday, SketchUpPro-2021-1-299-99-de.
Also rebooting, starting only Sketchup and no other application does not improve the situation.
Opening an empty model and then minimizing SketchUp, still shows in the task manager SketchupPro constantly using more than 5% CPU with no activity on the Harddrive or Network.
Strange is as well, that in the task manager, the Sketchup program has “(No response)” added to the name. In the print screen below it reads “(Keine Rückmeldung)”
Currently I have all Plugins loaded. I do not assume that a Plugin will cause the CPU activity.

Does anybody have an idea what could cause this?

It is a bit of a boring topic, but since there is a new version of SketchUp I was wondering, if the CPU usage in idle mode is now better than before.

Now I found, that one of the reasons causing a high CPU usage, even SketchUp is minimized, is a utility from LG (my monitor) that helps splitting the large 38 inch screen into smaller areas (Onscreen Control). Disabling this utility, brings the idle CPU usage of SketchuUp 2021 to just below 5%.

Then I installed the all new SketchUp 2022 version and I had no toolbars activated (Plugins installed and active, but no toolbars visible) and the CPU idle mode was only around 0.2 - 0.5% !
I was happy about this.

But as soon as I activated for instance the SketchUp toolbar “large function set” and some other large toolbars like Quadface tools or Vertex tools, the CPU usage jumped up to about 5% again.

Is this normal and why would displaying toolbars make SketchUp use so much more CPU?

That does seem like a surprising hit for just showing a toolbar. We outsiders have no insight as to what’s involved beneath the covers. But it might be something the developers could investigate…

I now also checked the behaviour in SketchUp 2021.
The result is the same as with SketchUp 2022:
If no toolbars are visible at all, then the idle CPU usage is between 0 and 0.3%.
If I activate the toolbars (currently 26 toolbars having in total about 175 buttons) the idle CPU usage is between 5 and 7%.

Strange is as well, that when you just move the mouse in circles within the SketchUp window, that then the CPU usage goes up to 25%! (with toolbars visible, otherwise to about 6%)
Other applications also show an increased CPU usage, if circling with the mouse in the window, but not as much. Excel or Word with their large ribbon bars rise “only” to about 10% CPU.

I would be glad, if someone from the SketchUp developers team could confirm this behaviour with visible toolbars and indicate, if there can be something done about it or not.

How much RAM do you have and what is its usage when the CPU % goes up?
I currently have 5 applications open, among them SketchUp and Layout. No matter what I do I cannot get the CPU usage over 8%. Opening a bunch of toolbars brings a brief momentary rise in CPU usage.
I suspect a reset of the PC will fix what ails it.

Setup:
HP Envy Laptop, 16GB of RAM, NVidia Geforce GTX 950M with 4GB dedicated RAM, IntelCore i7-5500U @2.4GHz
Not the fastes and newest, but ok.

Reboot does not help. Still around 5% CPU usage by SketchUp 2022, even if minimized and no model loaded.
CPU goes up to about 40% when working or orbiting in a SketchUp model

What is the average CPU usage of SketchUp, if you minimize SketchUp?

SketchUp usage is .4%

Thanks, so it seems Win setup or even driver dependent