SketchUp Cloud-Based Network License Server Console?

With 2015’s new cloud based network licensing, how does a network administrator manage the license pool? We need the ability to see who is using the licenses, what our peak use is, etc. Without the ability to see who is using licenses at a point in time what do we when a user complains that they are being denied a license but we can’t confirm we are using the total we should have available?

2 Likes

We’re taking this all one step at a time. There will be server console options available but there isn’t anything right now. We did fix a long standing issue with using SketchUp across a WAN as well as made the licenses cross-platform compatible so that’s already leaps ahead of our old license. Also notably, the old license had no Administrator option either, this new license system will give us choices. We’ll offer up more information about license management for network licenses asap.

Requiring an Internet connection that uses some uncommon ports is a two-edged sword. At the moment it looks like we won’t be able to make it work.

Anssi

Yes, the ports has the potential to be problematic. It sounds like you may have already seen the article with the new port numbers, but I’ll restate for other network folks. SketchUp needs to be able to communicate over ports 5053 and 50530 for network licenses currently.

That article is here.

While I gladly welcome a cloud based network licensing system, it sure would be nice if you would more clearly, and directly, state this significant change in the emails being sent with new 2015 license information. I read through the links in the license email that I received and I could not find anything that SIMPLY stated something to the effect that “we have moved from a network license file system to a cloud based network license authorization system”. Maybe I missed the boat, but the only way I knew you had made this change, other than through assumption, was by searching this forum.

Also who is running this cloud based network licensing system. I assume Trimble is operating it?? What are the IPs or URL(s) of the license servers for any potential firewall problems?

I also concur with the OP and would like to see a management portal for keeping tabs on license usage. The benefit of being able to use a network license from anywhere with an Internet connection is huge. Nice job Trimble on making that happen!

Please create a case for IP/URL. For obvious reasons we cannot provide these on the forum.

The 2015 version offers the ability to check-out a license. Can an administrator control this? I have a 3-user network license and I wouldn’t want all of the licenses to be checked out.

Agreed!

The sketchup.com website does not give much indication of this change either.

I believe IMHO that the name should be changed from “Network Licensing” to “Internet Server Licensing” or “Cloud Licensing”.

When people see the word “Network” they think LAN, and that the license serevr will be under their control and behind their firewall.

A change this fundamental, should not have been implemented without a change in name.

Hmm… why does the web site say there is a 10 user minimum ?

Completely agree! An appropriate name change would have made it easier to figure out that the network licensing system had moved from the Lan to the Wan.

At least make it clear in the online documentation about the “new” networking licensing system that you have moved everything to the Cloud. It only talked about ports you need to have open, but never said why you need those ports open.

I think that it currently is, but it was different in the @Last days - at work we, too, have a 5-user network license originally purchased when the version number was 4. We haven’t been denied upgrades even at the time when the minimum network license user count was 50. I find 10 a much more reasonable number than that - architect’s offices here in Finland are mostly quite small.

Anssi

Okay, I do find mention (on like page 3,) of the Release Notes

Release Notes:

• Network Licenses

• License management now happens in the cloud! This is huge - no
    more creating a shared folder on a local server and no more
    “license file” that you need to generate.

But that is still not “up front” enough, for upgraders.

Here is the article detailing what’s new: Understanding Your Classic License | SketchUp Help

We didn’t change the name for licensing because it’s still licensing, the name is still accurate. This was a pretty big change on our side with very little, for the most part, relevant to users. To give it a new name will start to confuse what it is and does. Really, the only place where there is confusion is with network licensing. We’re tickled to now offer the ability to have a WAN license and to check out licenses for use offline, but they’re still functions of network licensing. The most clear name change we can offer, isn’t really that clear to most; single user licensing would be “node-locked” and network licensing could be called “floating.”

We haven’t introduced the additional features for servers yet because, as mentioned above this was a big update with significant complexity on our side to make it happen in the 10 months since SketchUp 2014 came out and we want the server setup to clear when it’s available.

@DanRathbun Our current policy is to only sell 10 seat or greater network licenses, however if you purchased a smaller increment in the past (pre-SketchUp 8) then you will have a grandfathered license that you can continue to upgrade with new releases.

Thanks, I understood the “granfathering” from previous customer posts.

I guess I do not undersand why you’d refuse a new customer that is willing to pay 150 a year for 5 seats, rather than 95 a year for 5 seats, when they need those 5 seats to be floating ?

The increased revenue adds up after years, and across companies.

[quote=“jody, post:13, topic:3458, full:true”]
We didn’t change the name for licensing because it’s still licensing, the name is still accurate. This was a pretty big change on our side with very little, for the most part, relevant to users. To give it a new name will start to confuse what it is and does. Really, the only place where there is confusion is with network licensing. We’re tickled to now offer the ability to have a WAN license and to check out licenses for use offline, but they’re still functions of network licensing. The most clear name change we can offer, isn’t really that clear to most; single user licensing would be “node-locked” and network licensing could be called “floating.” [/quote]

You are arguing about technical reasons & nitty details, that cause you and your team to think a certain way. (I know it uses network communication protocol, and still is a form of network licensing.)

But your arguing the point, proves “you do not get it.”

It is not about what you think nor what your team believes. It is about what the customers believe. It is about how customers think they should be treated, and informed of such fundamental changes.

My suggestion of changing the name, is a public relations signal that things have changed. It’s a courtesy.

Anyway in another thread a customer explains more what they need:
Configuring proxy server for “network” license

2 Likes

we have got stuck here the same way, we already procured 120 licences and came to know about the cloud story.
Its not possible to use internet directly on clients pc.
there must be provision or facility of using local server as well.

I too believe some sort of administrative interface for licenses should be a top priority for SU2015. Although cloud licensing is presented as a positive it currently is a negative. I understand there’s a hurdle with an all new system, and that in the long run this is for the better, but right now it feels underdeveloped and cripples the bigger studios with many licenses.
I sincerely hope we get some sort of time frame for when we can expect an update.

I’d like the correct ip and/or url, I opened the specified port on mu Juniper (hardware) firewall but I need to set my untrusted destination to ‘any ip’, that’s a little much in my opinion (less secure).

I was hoping I could get the specific ip-nr. and/or url (domain), so I could set that as the only allowed untrusted destination traffic for the Sketchup 2015 Pro license check.

with kind regards, Tim.

[quote=“apoc, post:18, topic:3458, full:true”]
I was hoping I could get the specific ip-nr. and/or url (domain), so I could set that as the only allowed untrusted destination traffic for the Sketchup 2015 Pro license check.[/quote]

• Ports: 80/8080/443/5053/50530
• Domain: *.sketchup.com

I can’t use ‘*.’ that’s my problem (failed dns lookup) :cry: