SketchUp 3D Basecamp and COVID-19

No way to tell at this point! In Colorado we are seeing numbers increase like we did last year around this time. My personal hope is that over the winter more people with get vaccinated and by spring numbers will drop even more than last year.

Our official plan is to continue moving forward with planning as though everything will be open (but planning on vaccination requirements and masking mandates).

Man… I REALLY want life to get back closer to normal and I want Basecamp!!

4 Likes

Can’t say I’m optimistic unfortunately.

1 Like

Yup - Proof of vaccination and a negative test is required to enter Canada, so that definitely helps keep 3D Basecamp safe. Most people will be flying in and going directly to the hotel/conference, so you’ll have that peace of mind that they were checked at the border. If things keep escalating, we will adapt and add more safety measures (perhaps masks and rapid tests in all swag bags! haha)

I’ve also heard that Canada is now 75% vaccinated (COVID-19 vaccination coverage in Canada - Canada.ca), so that’s another positive sign. We are flying into a country that is highly vaccinated and takes COVID seriously.

We have about 10 months until the live conference and we all know a lot can happen in that time frame, so we will all just have to watch and see but do know that the event team is taking it seriously and monitoring the news daily.

3 Likes

It is time to set our politics and differences aside and become united in our fight against this common enemy.

2 Likes

Not to cast doubt on the upcoming Basecamp but now we have the B.A2 version of Omicron reported in Washington State. Fortunately it doesn’t appear to be any worse than the original Omicron, but what comes next?

When will this craziness end?

I thought it would all end when the vaccines were released and we could protect ourselves. Boy was I wrong.

1 Like

I am no epidemiologist but I think that probably Covid will end up with all the other viruses covered by our yearly flu vaccinations. It will go round the world and create a new yearly variation, just like the others. To do that, it must become less deadly just like the others have done so it probably will.

I, like @Anssi , am not a medical professional, but I do my best to read as much as I can… it LOOKS like we are following a similar timeline to the 1918 flu… we seem to be in the downward slide of COVID-19… I realize it will never go away, completely, but will, hopefully, end up as something that we have an option to get a shot for each year to keep us from getting sick for a week.

3 Likes

With the push from Trimble for people to pay to attend Basecamp in Vancouver in September, 2022 - appeared in at least 1 new post and new replies on at least one other topic today - I finally thought about attending - and I have to send the group my regrets.

Much as I’ve enjoyed my previous Basecamps/Bootcamps, I just don’t see myself attending in September - for a few reasons:

• My use of SketchUp/Layout has diminished significantly - so it’s hard to justify the expense on the basis of utility to my use of Trimble Products
  • I think we’re easing masking and distancing restrictions related to COVID-19 prematurely. I frankly fear that we’re going to see another surge of an as yet undiscovered variant - and it’s likely to hit in Summer or Fall. So as not to contribute to possible inadvertent spread, I think planning on attending - especially paying this early - to be … inadvisable. (And by “we” I mean the US and Canada - mostly!)
  • All other things being equal, with as crazy as my job is right now - and has been for the last few months - If I manage to take any time off, I’d want to retreat to a peaceful place where I can slow down, relax, chill. And as fun as I find Basecamp to be - it’s not that - at least not for me!

So to the people I’ve met before - and hope to someday meet again – I say: I love you people! But I’m going to have to decline this particular opportunity.

3 Likes

My big concern is really what comes next. Thinking that each successive variant will be less lethal is a major fallacy. Your right, we will probably see a few more variants pop up and we really have no idea as to what they will be like and most of the experts are now saying the same thing. Both Omicron and Delta came out of no where, why would the next variant be any different?

The other question is the timing, we may have a lull for a few weeks, even months or possibly a year or two, we just don’t know, it’s currently a huge question mark. If recent past variants show us any pattern though I would assume we will be facing another ugly variant in a couple months.

I realize that none of what I said sounds very optimistic, but at this point (two years into this pandemic and multiple, highly contagious variants as well as nearly a million American lives), I think the time for positive talk just for the sake of positive talk is done. We need to seriously buckle down and figure out how to shut this thing down before it shuts us down. I am still hopeful for Basecamp, and if I am able to I would very much like to attend, but I am also a realist and I do think we may be a bit premature in our thinking.

2 Likes

I am Chinese. Now the epidemic situation in China is relatively stable, and the government responds very quickly. If there is an epidemic situation personnel in a city, they will carry out urban investigation. There are about a dozen more in China every day.

I’m super stoked to see a bunch of you guys again; especially as I now live in Vancouver, so if you need any info please let me know :smiley:

4 Likes

Is there a link that is updated weekly or maybe daily that I can check for the entry requirements into Canada? I have attended the past two basecamps and would love to attend a third. Currently living in US and not vaccinated. Waiting for them to wave the fully vaccinated and negative test requirements. Once they are then I will purchase my tickets. Thank you and hope you all are well on this fine Tuesday morning.

2 Likes

With the new variants on the rise now even in the western US (Utah numbers in the waste water are starting to see an uptick) it would surprise me if they decide to wave all of the vaccine requirements.

Covid BA.2, BA1.1, XE, the list just keeps getting bigger and bigger:

In the Netherlands they did, now only needed if you go abroad…
Edit: this can always change offcourse.

I keep this page up-to-date → SketchUp 3D Basecamp 2022 | Traveling to Canada

3 Likes

Looks like all requirements in the USA are coming down on Sunday!

We’re getting closer basecampers!

5 Likes

After a 2 year hiatus it is exciting to see Basecamp is actually going to happen.

3 Likes

Basecamp is happening! Can you believe it’s right around the corner? :smiley:

I know some people are still experiencing the ripple effect of COVID, so the SketchUp team and I have put together a way to give back to our beloved community. If you or your team needs financial assistance getting to Basecamp, please email me at 3dbasecamp@sketchup.com. We have a limited number of scholarships to give away and I’m excited to get those in the hands of our deserving Forum.

Reach out if you have any questions and we hope to see you in Vancouver this fall!

4 Likes

Looks like Canada is reinstating some of their testing requirements:

Everywhere is surging right now with this BA.5 and now BA.2.75, I keep thinking this will all end and then I hear about yet another new variant popping up from somewhere in the world. Sadly I won’t be surprised if we are still playing this Covid wackamole for another two to three years. Also, the current vaccines are basically useless against these latest variants, but at least they probably saved many from the insidious Delta variant.

Sorry my optimism is at a bit of a low right now, but I am glad that Basecamp is still a go (even if I can’t make it this year).