SketchUp 2024 Group Arranging (Stack Forward/Back)

Hey Guys & Gals,

Wondering how to bring groups forward. I imported a floor plan PNG image, exploded it, grouped it, locked it. Now redrawing the walls over that image (with hopes of doing a wall takeoff for a paint contractor buddy). I tried paint bucket to get a nice translucent color to see my work BUT the color doesn’t show unless I turn off the image (thus, SketchUp put it on top). Anyone have a way to fix this?

There is no bring to front / send to back in 3d space.

There is on top / in front / behind, etc.

Sounds like you have 2 surfaces trying to fight for the same place in space.

Sounds to me as if the first thing to do is go through the instructional materials at learn.sketchup.com

SketchUp is a 3D model envronment, as such there is no “StackForward/Back” as there is in a 2D application. Instead you actually need to move objects in space if you want them to appear in front of or behind other objects.

I have this problem too. If I am tracing an imported image, ok, I will have ‘2 surfaces trying to fight for the same place in space’ but it is inconsistent. Somethings are visible ‘on’ the image I’m tracing but others are hidden by it. The work around of course is to lower the image in 3D space so everything I draw floats above it but that means constantly raising it to trace over and lowering to check the result.

I think it is not good enough to say ‘Sketchup is a 3D model environment, as such there is no “StackForward/Back” as there is in a 2D application’. I’d just point to AutoCAD as a counter example. I really don’t see what is the problem unless there is no such option because --programmers. I see many questions about this stacking of – I’ll say drawing elements rather than tags or layers – and the people asking basically being told how dumb they are to think software could work how users want. It appears to be their intent to make users work their way rather than listen to what users want. I’ve charitably assumed it was an unintended consequence of the introduction of tags and would eventually be fixed. But still waiting in v2025.

I believe the solution is to explode the image and then start tracing. The image will be a surface and you only need to work with one surface, not 2 stacked on top of each other.

You could also change the Face Style to Xray or Wireframe while tracing the image.

Has nothing to do with tags.

I wonder where you got that idea.

Yes you could charitably assume I misspoke.

Wireframe hides the image and I am turning x-ray on and off constantly.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Since when? Here, switching to the Wireframe face style and the image is still displayed.
wf

It would hide faces, textured or not, but not images.

I’m guessing OP has exploded the image.

I wouldn’t be surprised but then it’s no longer an image in SketchUp. It’s a textured face. If the image is only going to be used as a reference it doesn’t need to be exploded. Leave it as an image to trace it. That also means it will remain visible when a group or component is opened for editing.
edit