SketchUp 2023 update

Last major SU realease was on jan. 25th 2022 and minor on Feb. 24th. So there has been almost a whole year without any updates… As a paid subscription user I’ve been eagerly awaiting any news about the update.

I went back and looked at how frequent releases were in the past. It looks like it has been the longest cycle without any realease even though the team promissed they will be releasing updates more frequently with the new subscription model. And in the first two years it was as team happily analized it in this blog post

Interestingly: Searching for 2023 update Google shows up a webpage titled “Top 3 NEW features in 2023 #shorts” from dec. 15th that does not exist anymore.

And some extensions already hava Sketchup 2023 in their compatibility info:

So I guess we can speculate that some kind of release was planned but pulled back at the last minute?

As I mentioned before elswhere, I wish SU team communicated more clearly about their plans (at least to their paid subscribers). So this one better be worth the wait once it comes out…

8 Likes

It is well known what their policy on discussion of releases is…

1 Like

I definitely remember being promised more frequent releases under the subscription model.

9 Likes

In fact, they’re working on the 2024, a cool new eraser icon, and someone threw a chill: Has anyone prepared anything for 2023?

6 Likes

1 Like

One seems to be Annotations, see Extension | SketchUp Extension Warehouse

This extension doesn’t work in SU 2022…

1 Like

I think it was the youtube Sketchup Guy who set up the page and put everyone in panic: IT’S CHRISTMAS ALREADY??? We completely forgot about the Desktop version!!!

I was so glad the last truly stable version of the program for what I work on (2019) was just booted off the 3D Warehouse for 2023’s release :upside_down_face: I get nothing but crashes in anything 2020 and later. Trimble seems like they are just milking SketchUp customers and you getting less and less for what you’re paying for. Just support your products properly and be communicative with your customers.

I’m getting so fed up with the constant distractions. Focus on SketchUp and Layout. Those are the tools we need. I don’t know a single person who can practically use SketchUp for iPad in a commercial design setting outside of some simple schematic design or design iteration processes.

3 Likes

And generally anyone who bothers to track down why they are crashing finds a solution and moves on. All too often those that complain simply haven’t made an effort to find what it is with their workflow or specific setup that is causing issues.

1 Like

@Box It has been tracked down by myself and a developer friend and it’s specific to an update to the core Ruby SDK that was introduced in Ruby 2.7 but not handled well on the SketchUp side. It’s been reported and documented and I’ve been informed that it probably won’t be fixed until (maybe v2023) when Ruby 3.1 gets implemented. But thanks for your very informative comment about my ability to track and report bugs that affect my specific workflows.

4 Likes

And that’s the sort of pointless I’m somebody who knows something gossip mongering post that is the reason all this goes on and on.
I know who you are which is why I felt the comment was needed.

If you know who I am, then why would you make a comment like I don’t know what I’m talking about? People in glass houses, man… Im complaining because I have a problem, and there’s no real support for it, and I’m losing features with each update. AND there’s still no 2023 update to speak of. So I have every right to voice my opinion on the forums of the software I pay for.

Don’t make comments accusing me of not making an effort. “All too often those that complain simply haven’t made an effort to find what it is with their workflow or specific setup that is causing issues.” and then expect me not to respond.

1 Like

What was the issue you tracked down in 2.7? Was it still there in 2.7.2?

@colin You’d have to reach out to Noel Warren on the Chaos team for more specifics, hes the one who first documented it. And it wasn’t necessarily an issue in Ruby, but more of the way a feature was implemented? I believe Noel and I discussed it very briefly with @thomthom at Basecamp (maybe he can touch base on this - though this is also probably the wrong discussion group for it), and one possible solution Noel and I came up with for the crash I was seeing came down to the implementation of Ruby 3.0 or 3.1 and how that version handles the GC module in Ruby, maybe?

It’s been a while and I haven’t followed up because my understanding is I can’t test the CG:auto_compact = false snippet Noel gave me until 23 comes out because I don’t believe the module is supported in earlier versions. - Then again I could be talking out my hindquarters here as I can still hardly get hello world to run correctly most days.

Wait, I know what it’s going to be…

SketchUp for Metaverse!

4 Likes

I knew there was a reason this dev cycle was taking so long lol!

2 Likes

The cycle has ticked over.

2 Likes

Sketchup died? not wanting to discourage the software devs, but there are almost no really relevant changes in the 2023 version changelog. A year without updates for that?

4 Likes

Your profile says you are using SketchUp Free (web). Maybe you’re looking in the wrong place.

what 2023 version changelog? wait, you have SU 2023 !? where did you get it!? :upside_down_face: