Sketchup 2020 on Mac

It seems that the interface is different for Windows and the Mac including different layout for screen menus, etc. Does Sketchup provide any overviews of the basics for using Sketchup on a Mac and using it on a Windows PC? If not, does anyone have links to info for using Sketchup and setting it up for use on a Macbook Pro? I have watched a few youtube videos and most seem to be made on Windows PCs.

Most things are the same, or similar on a Mac. There are a few differences though because they are two different operating systems. As far as and YouTube or links to any Mac specific information I don’t know of any. But several YouTube videos will tell you how to use commands in both the Windows and Mac version.

I know the [Option] key is a primary copy command on a Mac and the Paint Bucket command is different.

1 Like

The major differences center around the UI and especially the material picker (Paint Bucket), but most all modelling and navigating functions work the same on both platforms, as David points out.

Windows has better screen management for toolbars and trays, but only allows one window per SU instance, whereas MacOS allows multiple sessions under the same instance. There are also OS differences in importing / exporting PDF’s — a native capability in MacOS.

As for YouTube videos, @TheOnlyAaron stuff is all done on a MacBook, so most of the (recent) tutorial and tip videos on the official SU channel are MacOS-friendly.

2 Likes

Most, if not all, of the official sketchup YouTube channel videos and official SketchUp learning tutorials are done on Macs. If that helps I would start with those.

1 Like

Yes we do…maybe less UX/UI…and more tools/techniques. Check out our Fundamentals series on SketchUp Campus that was recorded on a Mac. https://learn.sketchup.com/track/sketchup-fundamentals-part-1

2 Likes

Thank you. All are very helpful answers.

1 Like