SketchUp 2017 Wish List

I guess.

The user base is near zero now but it will grow very fast and that would be a good story for sketch up that would show They are comited to Mac users and not only multi-platform uniformisation.

My wishes for Sketchup 2017:

-A layer-window with some more options:

I was thinking about a layer-window were you can separately change the color of the lines and faces. For example, now if you are working with the option color by layer and by material, both the colors and the faces will have the same color (the color that is assigned to that layer). I think it would be better if you could choose the colors of both separately so that you can have black lines and blue faces in one layer and in the other gray lines and white faces for example.

Another option that I think that would be very useful in the layer-window, is that you could also change the visualization of the lines, I mean that you can have not only continuos lines, but also have dashed lines, point lines, thicker lines, thiner lines…
In the way that you can navigate with that different types of lines in 3D, and not only in layout in 2D.

-In Layout:

It would be very helpful if the now existing shape style-window would work with the “Sketchup model reference” without having to explode it, so that you could change the now existing options (fill, pattern, stroke, dashes…) according to the layers that you have create before in the Sketchup model.

I am a Spanish guy, and my English is not as good as I would like, but I hope that you did understand what I just wrote. If not please let me know. And also please let me know what do you think about this ideas.

Greetings
Mileno.

Same with Northpoint control

Pre Trays SU was much better - TRAYS were a downgrade - in fact really disapointed with LAyout interface driving the SU interface -SU was superior… TRAYS are incredibly inefficient of screenspace - not suprising when the MS parentage is realised… bloody RIBBONS – please never !

Different strokes. For me the addition of the tray in SketchUp was a big upgrade. It automatically set up SketchUp the way I had been setting it up for years except it gives me extra real estate for toolbars. And of course you don’t have to have the tray. You can still have floating windows or move them to another screen if you want.

2 Likes

I agree. I would like to see further development with DC options / attributes placed there and an customised interface for other extensions to place property information and commands…

Once one amends the default tray to include the page tabs, the trays become very organised to suit one’s specific needs

LayOut trays would benefit from page tabs, so the upgrade is required there

By page tabs, I mean the bottom tabs in the exposed tray, not the side tabs

Home Lizenz for Pro
in our office we have 9 lizenz for Sketchup Pro
It would be fine when we can use this lizenz also for home-office or private or education purposes

Have a look at Autodesk: A Lizenz with Subscription includes automaticaly a home use lizenz

Kind regards,
Bernhard

I have one wish for Layout.

New dimensions “Leader style”. Can you make it without the fill on leader line because if you have dimension line that goes over the model then you will have white fill showing over your model, then every time you need to goes into this properties and change it to no fill. Can you please make it with no fill as default please.

Kind regards,
Sasa

@sasa.speednet, your wish has come true.

if you don’t want the fill, make the needed settings and make your own template.

if you don’t want the fill, make the needed settings and make your own template.

But how to change properties of Leader style line? I don’t get it.

Select the leader and make the desired changes in Shape Style. Turn off fill there.

That’s OK. But how to save that? It is not an option under Dimension style tab. You can only select Leader style. But you can not change it properties for template or maybe I don’t know how.

If I select dimensions, I can change it propertie, also fill or stroke… etc. But for Leader style properties you can’t, while you need first to draw some dimension with leader, then to select leader line and then to change its fill. But that is not permanent.

I don’t know why would someone need fill in that line? Maybe am I wrong?

Dear development team: I just saw the video on 2017 improvements, when I heard about the tables, it encouraged me to write to you: Please, pretty please, stay away from BIM functionality. SketchUp has been so successful because it is a slim, developer-friendly sketching and design development program, not a bulky BIM like Revit. Each egg in its nest, as folklore would say. An apparently small step into tables welcomes more and more requests for moving into the BIM realm. Let us avoid this, please. Maybe instead of that… A split screen within SketchUp modeling for two or more views of the model while drawing? Gracias!

1 Like

continue here:

Already too late…

You have Dynamic Components, Classifier, and Layout features that work accordingly.

You don’t have a full BIM software as you imagine but it’s there already.

I’m pretty much sure that BIM will come even further, but I’m also sure it won’t get in the way of people that don’t need it, as that’s obvious if you look at Sketchup development route.

The problem I see is that the BIM features of SU are spread out so much you don’t even notice it. You set the class in Entity Info but you set attributes from the Dynamic Component dialogs (a plugin that is shipped with SU, but still a plugin and not a part of the core). I’d very much like to move all BIM things to a separate inspector that can be ignored by those who don’t like it (probably even hidden by default) but also easy to comprehend for BIM newbies and powerful for the BIM enthusiasts.

2 Likes

That makes sense as I never understood why so many classifications and parameters and descriptions had to spread all over.

Layout.

Can you make that when you turn off some page/s, they don’t show in exported pdf? While I need some pages, but i don’t want to show to client.

continue here: