SketchUp 2017 Wish List

Something similar to “section box” tool of Revit. If we can get it in SU, it will be possible to generate all types of sections and details.

2 Likes

Ce serait bien que lorsqu’on “edit” un groupe, on soit directement dans la layer correspondant au groupe de ligne.

Translated by freetranslation.com:

Perhaps it’s a bad translation but as I understand your request… You should draw and leave all edges (lines) on Layer 0. Layer 0 should always be the active layer. Only groups and components should be associated with other layers. If Layer 0 is always left as the active layer, anything you draw or change while editing a group will be done on Layer 0.

You can have several active section planes if you embed each in a group.

Anssi

yes, I agree, but it is not practical and it requires more work to setup scenes for layout. Especially in big projects a section box tool that gives you a full control of the section depth it would be very helpful.

@eneroth3

This is what eneroth suggested a while back and it’s super needed (she made a better image than mine):

• to use sketchup tools like pushpull, move, rotate, etc… to create sections like this:

Too bad we can’t find the original post but your image describes it very very well.

I’ve wanted so bad to do a proof of concept plugin but I don’t think it’s possible through the API. It requires drawing outside an active tool which isn’t possible now, and it requires some kind of OpenGL access to cut stuff which I haven’t found.

The cut surfaces geometry could be defined similar to the usual faces and edges in a model. This geometry needs to be extended to contain the whole bounding box of the model, either at rendering time or when the bounding box changes. Also this geometry must define a manifold open mesh. Then a solid body could be defined from the cut surfaces along with the bounding box and all geometry inside that box could be hidden.

This might be the most advanced section tool in any modeling software :stuck_out_tongue:

You mean, as advanced as the most advanced_

I don’t know if the Rhino tool only allows polyline (extruded perpendicular to itself) to be used as section cut or also can define a section cut three-dimensionally.

I also don’t know, but I can see what one would acomplish with that.

Archicad also has similar.

Yes and Revit… This was the best video I found though.

What I had in mind when making the original suggestion was the plane cuts for my castle. The floor in the image alone is cut on 7 different height (unless I missed counting some :stuck_out_tongue: ). This is what I meant by making more complex cuts than an extruded polyline.

If I remember well, your feature request would enable you to draw shapes on section planes and push pull them for instance. That would be killer for those kind of plans.

From the big projects where you want to show every groundfloor level of your 30 houses that are being built on a slope to the small apartment where you want to section a door, a stair case and a window but they simply don’t align, this feature would be simply great.

1 Like

Again; this would be a perfect use of “negative” geometry.

I can make the negative bits, but you still need to subtract it from the whole…

maybe @eneroth3 will volunteer to help me sort it out…

john

Yeah I admit it’s cool, but it’s destructive; native geometry would remain and you could add bits to both the cutting shape and the model

That is getting cool John!

I’d be very happy for a user interface that easily allows for making sections cuts like this with visible section planes similar to the existing ones.

However, if “negative” geometry is added I would make the plugin myself to implement the section cut UI :stuck_out_tongue: . Both suggestions share the same core, this one just adds an extra UI layer, that sometimes would be very useful but sometimes not.

These are only work-arounds. I really wish that SketchUp would treat it as a serious bug with their software and fix it… Software like AutoCad, Although now obsolete has the ability to REGENERATE the view in order to get into tight spaces and add detail. Why cannot sketchup fix this issue and implement something like REGEN?