"Simple DXF" CNC exporter

So should this latest version of DXF export run on a Mac now? My initial trial has expired but I’d like to try again if it’s running on Mac.

Yes it should run now. John found a Sketchup bug where openpanel and savepanel aren’t fully supported by the mac. So when I was following Sketchup’s API it caused the plugin to crash the mac/

I can extend your trial but you will have to tell me your CabMaker32 userid.

1 Like

awesome. Thanks. I’ll PM you.

Sean,

I have extended your trial.

Sean - were you able to run the plugin on your mac?

I am working on honoring Sketchup nested groups and components. The DXF will not be nested but the original SU part can be.

1 Like

New version of SimpleDXF now works with nested components and or nested groups. Anyone wanting to test it any who needs to extend the trial please message me.

GKWare_Simple_DXF_v1.0.6.rbz (124.9 KB)

I am now working on some documentation.

Here is a quick start for SimpleDXF documentation. Please have a quick read. Perhaps someone can make requests for additional examples.

SimpleDXF.pdf (174.8 KB)

1 Like

The part about open polylines, you don’t mention
hiding an edge to create the open polyline?

Or can it be drawn open now?

Ian,

It can be drawn open and you can use a start pin on one of the open ends to control cutting direction. You can also use the hidden line strategy to let the face control directionality - it’s up to you. Currently I chose not to provide an example of the hidden edge strategy simply because I feel that the start pin is simpler and clearer.

If users want to know more about the hidden line then I can provide examples.

Ah, I get it now. It actually works better now that the starting pin has been added. I’m thinking a little in the past.

No problem.

I am open to ideas, suggestions etc. I do remember reading that autocad does not support many levels of nested Block Inserts.

One thought I had was to add to the configuration a drop down “Component Blocks” with 2 choices

1. Components are Block Inserts
  2. Do not use Block Inserts

I have been unable to test out the latest version so far, I have a last minute assembly instruction to do and only a few hours to figure it. I might think of a few things later. I’m pleased with the starting points feature so far I’m glad I asked for that.

I believe I am only able to use groups at this time as my CAM basically ignores component (blocks) by the looks of things. I would prefer to use components. I think making it as versatile as possible for different end scenarios is a good idea. What works now might end up being a different requirement at a later date. Covering as many bases as possible for the end user makes it a stronger product too I would think.

Yes, Plugin is up and running on the Mac. Looking good.

Even though the installer said 1.0.6 it was actually (internally) 1.0.5

I now have the completed SimpleDXF 1.0.6 on my website and also on Sketchucation and have submitted it to the Extension Warehouse (who knows how long that will take).

The real version 1.0.6 now has a menu item to display the pdf manual. This has not yet been tested on the Mac - but works on Windows.

Nesting on my test file seems to be behaving nicely with (flipped) components & holes that would wander off remain in place. (thanks Gary)
Wondering if there is a way to “recognize” the holes without having to have the components as I do in the below file. I have the holes in this file “above” the plate so I can easily select/detect them & know they are “on” (and not placing hole geometry on layer other than 0)
IOW:
I have a number of already created steel plates (components w/holes) that would benefit from simply putting them in the “empty container” (group) and not have to individually isolate each hole. (CAM software automatically recognizes holes)

hope this makes sense.

Charlie

Edit:
ps…one of the holes in the plate forms a face during/after export to dxf (using v1.0.5)

GkWare_SimpleDXF_Expt_NestTest_03_22_2019.skp (547.5 KB)

For CNC routers and their CAM systems we may require different layer names for the holes and the overall shape. This means that we require containers for each machining operation.

With your example I see no purpose in having all those extra circles floating above. I deleted the circles and then selected a hole with geometry and then turned them into a group.

It appears that the hole that forms a face is a side effect of the Sketchup API command find_faces which is part of the edge class. Instead of Sketchup simply returning the face it appears that Sketchup has modified the face. I will see if I can add a smarter routine that will only run find_faces if there isn’t a face with the normal that I am wanting.

The face does does 2 things - it allows me to get an outer loop of the face where the vertices are properly ordered. This does not happen if you have a polyline that does not have an associated face. And a face controls cutting direction.

I was able to surround the export operation inside a model.start_operation and then finally a model.abort_operation. This effectively stops the face issue by rolling back all Sketchup operations after the file has been written to disk.

Thanks Gary,
Guess I’ll just have to train myself as if I was using a router instead of plasma. (Each operation requires a container)

And I was going to mention I saw an unusual amount of operations in the undo-stack…looked like a face was formed and then erased for each hole in each component…looks like you were aware of this.
Tx
Charlie

Next version 1.0.7 should take care of that. I’m also going to put out a few youtube videos.

GKWare_Simple_DXF_v1.0.7.rbz (283.1 KB)

First I copied the 3 unique plates and made them unique. Then I exploded them and grabbed just the faces and copied that over to the side. I found the centers for each hole and copied 1 of the holes over to the side where I made it into a component. I deleted all the circles and then copied the new hole component onto each plate. Finally I turned the 3 plates into 3 components.

I then made the outer container yellow and then used it as a template. I placed copies of plates until I could tell (from color) that I was successful and complete.

Finally I added a vertical leg to each unique plate and to 1 circle. The result was a good export and a good import.

test.dxf (52.7 KB)

1 Like

Can you log this in the issue tracker please?

In the issue when you file it, can you please also post an image of the “working” UI.openpanel.

(I was under the impression that OSX file dialogs did not have the same filtering capabilities that Windows dialog do. So I thought that for Mac we’d need to only use a suggested filename and not filetype filters.)

P.S. - IMO the docs are clear that the filetype filter 3rd arguments are MS Windows only.

filed a bug report with gif [with both open and save]

john

1 Like