Show us YOUR Quick Win

How about moving content from one layer to another by deleting layers? Of course don’t forget to mention moving back to Layer 0 once done!!! :wink:

5 Likes

Just type it in.

2 Likes

Well, we have all been there: Create a model, set up some scene and layers and of to the client with the proposal:

Guess what: the client wants a green elephant:

Ok, no worries, I create a new layer to not get chased by it all the time…

‘Hé, that layer would be on all scenes, wouldn’t it? I only want it on the first!’

Since the elephant is on a newly created layer, it appeears in all scenes, so: untick the visibilty of the newly created layer, select all scenes but the first and then click the update button. Uncheck all porperties but the layers and, off you go!

11 Likes

I never really bothered with Section Planes, until I saw in the thread “Out of the Box” that you could place one temporarily to get at those pesky internal faces quickly and easily…

16 Likes

Looks like the next months are already covered…

2 Likes

I think this feature with a following "bug" has been introduced in SU2018.

Recently (sometime in a past year) it has been taken a while for me, to recognize what magic is going on with the rectangle tool, if I draw the rectangle precisely by typing a length value then width value.
There were no problem with mouse, and I have been aware of the new feature with Ctrl key.

You know what happens: Each odd rectangle is drawn from the center and every even is drawn from the corner.

Explanation:

I have a different keyboard and language settings than English, so I have to use a comma , to indicate the decimal place (decimal separator) and a semi-colon; to separate the dimensions (list separator). To get the semi colon first I have to push AltGr (or right Alt key) and the key above it.

Since the AltGrCtrl+Alt , you see, it is initiating the Ctrlkey too. … to toggle between center and corner-based drawing. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Unfortunately, I still tend to forget about it …:blush:

I would also like to know where to find “Scale to Unit”. You’re right I’ve gone years without finding it so far. Thanks.

1 Like

All you have to do is add the units when you type so it’s not a scale factor. See the Help article on Scaling.

Specifically,

1. Move the cursor to scale the entity. The Measurements box displays the scale dynamically. Press the Esc key at any point to start over. To set the scale from the center instead of the opposite corner, hold down the Ctrl key (Windows) or the Option key (macOS) while you move the red corner grip.
2. Click to set your selection’s new scale. Or type the desired scale dimensions and press Enter.

Note: Technically, in Step 5, you can type a dimension, such as 2m or 3" , instead of a scale dimension. However, scaling based on a dimension with the Tape Measure is generally more intuitive.

scale

1 Like

If you hold shift when scaling, you can also use one dimension. The scaling would be Uniform, just as with the Tape Measure and you won’t have to type all dimensions

I find scaling more intuitive when you only need to set one ore two dimensions, fi only the width of a board or thickness

Of course that’s not my statement. It’s a copy and paste.

I usually prefer to resize things with the Move tool, anyway.

It’s been mentioned already, but I’ll add an extra vote for covering the Paste in Place command.

For a Quick Win Submission… I’d toss in the idea of Remote Component Editing.

Where you’d bring in an extra copy of a component, place it in an open area… and proceed to edit from there… redefine it’s definition… so that the actual component buried away in the model inherits all of the changes without having to be moved out of position.

with credit going to: Quick Win (…Tips from the Forum)

7 Likes

Very good. Another reason for my component-only modeling. :wink:

Is this the Web Forum definition of Insanity,
Posting a second gif doing exactly the same thing and expecting a different result! :sunglasses:

1 Like

I think that’s it. :smiley:

1 Like

I do that all the time.

1 Like

Temporarily delete something to select what is behind, undo the deletion and then e.g. delete that selection.

6 Likes

Paint groups/components from the outside and and use axes for material positioning. Generally red axis represents length, green width and blue height. If the texture is horizontal in the material panel it will follow red axis, otherwise it will perpendicular to it.

3 Likes

Make edges paint-able by setting the style option, Color By Material.

3 Likes

Gum select:

use Eraser tool to select a number of entities, while holding ,LMB =Left Mouse button
Do not let go of the LMB
Then press SPACE to do whatever with the selection.

11 Likes

Let go of the [Shift] key first before thinking of pressing the [Space] bar. Otherwise vroahhhm… your selection is “gone” (hidden).

1 Like