-- Shadow Mystery --

I am not sure what exactly caused the issue, but when I re-colored the surface, the shadows came back. I suspect something along the lines of what @TIG suggested.

And TIG wins the prize. The underside of your roof is painted with a material that for some reason doesnā€™t cast shadows. Iā€™m on a Mac, and because of its fairly useless Materials window I canā€™t figure out quite what material it is. But like Aaron, if I paint it a different color the shadows appear.

1 Like

Bingo again. That did it. Maybe it has to do with the imported slabs from Datacad had color defined differently. Who knows. Here is screen save of changed color roof and columns. This is a throw away copy for troubleshooting. Therefore, color did not matter.

Thanks again
Eli

I also found that if I edit the material on the bottom of the roof (I finally figured out which it was!), even the slightest tweak of its opacity causes it to start casting shadows. I donā€™t understand quite what, but there is something very odd about that material - possibly the way it was imported has confused SketchUp.

While using the paint bucket you can command-click on any texture surface, and the Colors palette (if you select Colors in Model) will scroll to and highlight the texture you just clicked on.

The truly weird thing is that if I command-click the bottom face of that roof, the Materials window selects the Default material, which is not what that face says it is painted with if I query using the ruby console. Somehow the materials in this model have gotten seriously FUBAR!

it happens with some ifc imports as well, face.back_material = nil is what Iā€™ve used on thoseā€¦

you can do it manually using ā€˜select all with same materialā€™ the change the back material in ā€˜model infoā€™

john

Showing the default material also happens if you click on an edge instead of the face. Or even a line that is surrounded by one face that has a material, the line itself shows the default material.

true that.

one of main reason Iā€™m selling my MAC

I know my comments are falling on deaf ears but I have to say it again.
The Layering in your model is a mess and until you resolve that your models will cause you problems.
You need to understand the basics of Component, Groups and layers.
Components and groups are the only things that that separate geometry.
Components should be used when the object is repeated, the ridges in your roofing for example.
Layers are only a way of making it possible adjust the visibility of parts of the model.

Raw geometry is made of faces and edges and they must be kept on Layer0, or at the very least the same layer.
You have faces on one layer and the edges that make them on another layer.
Only assign a layer to anything once it has been wrapped as a component or group.

First thing I did with your model was delete all the materials, this corrected the shadows, but also showed up the fact you have many reversed faces.
The default setup is Front faces white and Back faces a blueish/gray.
Look at your model in Monochrome and you should only see white.

2 Likes

im with you @Box.

Though, iā€™ve pretty much given up telling other people unless I have known them for a long time.