[Selection Toys] Trying to Reverse Inside Faces

@thomthom Hey there, I’m very new to Sketchup, about two hours old. I’m trying to print a 3D model of a ring I initially modelled using Rhino. During the stl export it has saved both inside and outside faces. So I downloaded Selection Toys as I noticed in the extension warehouse notes that you can ‘select faces in same direction’, I was hoping to use this and then reverse faces. However I can’t find ‘select faces in same direction’ on either the toolbar or within the the settings. Please help, thanks

Are all your faces reversed? Or only a few of the (solid?) model faces?
More hints after a screenshot or the model…

You should be able to right click, then use Select Only and Back Default Materials

Thanks @TheOnlyAaron but that doesn’t seem to select anything :sob:

As you can see from the image it’s a total mess. Not only are there inside and outside faces but I’ve noticed there are quite a few doubled faces as well

A gentle hint for the future: use a screen capture to create your images, don’t take a picture of the screen with your phone. Digital photos of computer screens tend to show horrible moire effects such as visible in your upload. They make it hard to see the details. Thanks!

Since your goal is 3D printing, I would try to make a solid model, after that, the correction of the faces orientation will be a one click step.

Sorry @slbaumgartner I’m working from many different devices and some of them don’t belong to me so they have access locks etc on them. But here’s a screen grab for you

Have you thought about redrawing it? It looks symmetrical and you only need to draw 1/6 of it…

After 10 seconds of drawing I have to reduce the needed part to 1/12 :wink:

What software was used to create this? It looks as if it would be way simpler if it had been created in SketchUp from scratch.

Anssi

In his initial post he said Rhino. I agree that this doesn’t look like all that difficult a shape to draw in SketchUp (especially given the 12-fold repeat already pointed out). Sometimes that is a better idea than trying to clean up the spiderweb generated by a typical stl export from any program.

Here’s an example…thing_components.skp (62.7 KB)

1 Like

Drat! @Cotty beat me to the post! Mine looks about the same.

1 Like

Ok thanks everybody for your help. I usually use Rhino as its what I have on my own computer and the reason why I posted in the forum was because I was hoping there would be an easy way to select certain faces so I could print the job in situ.

However judging by your responses it looks like I should just spend a few hours learning how to navigate Sketchup and model the ring in that instead. Although I imagine you guys make it look really easy :wink:.

There is a basic disconnect between SketchUp, which supports arbitrarily shaped planar Faces, and many other modelers that triangulate all surfaces. Those apps often don’t capture lines as truly straight and consequently generate loads of tiny or narrow triangles on a planar surface that SketchUp could represent as a single entity. Some of them are also sloppy with the direction of surface normals. As an even more extreme example than yours, see this topic:

As a result, it is frequently easier to start over than to try to figure out why the other app put a ton of triangles on a flat surface or broke straight edges into a bunch of sub-edges.

I’d recommend Solid Inspector instead - as it’s designed to help resolve solids: Extension | SketchUp Extension Warehouse