Selecting entities within a solid

Hi!
I have a bunch of components spread in space and I’d like to select only the ones that have their origin INSIDE a solid group. Is there any tool or ruby script for doing that?

I almost achieved the goal using iSelect by selecting visible compos (the rest is obscured by solid mesh) but that’s not the killer method.

You could try with Outliner (Window > Default Tray > Outliner). If the components were named, then it’s easier to find them.

Say I wasn’t clear enough :wink:
These components are not nested within the solid group, they just have their origins enclosed by its volume.
It would be nice to have faces of the solid group as a boundary of selection.

1 Like

origins seem to be an odd choice for the basis of a selection…

can you add a screenshot with:

Model Info >> Components >> Show component axes >> CHECKED

and a ‘semi transparent’ solid group that would form the selection boundaries…

in ruby you would normally look for overlapping ‘bounding boxes’ as a first step and then geometry…

I don’t know of any that currently use ‘insertion point’ or ‘origin’ as a primary parameter…

I have a ‘cubic selector’ that might be able to find only those if I could understand exactly what you mean…

add the skp as well and I’ll see if I can find some time to test it…

john

Well, if the script used geometry (instead of origin) as an indicator, it would be also fine.
Here’s the file where I’d like to select only components (small crosses) that fit within the ellipsoid.

selection boundary.skp (580.7 KB)