Selecting a material with color drop and not being able to edit

no it’s not.

the paintbucket + alt will select the material, you still have to either double click or click on edit.
on mac, the eyedrop will select the material and you have to double click on it. no edit tab yet.

yeah, mac os has a crappy sense of contrast, the material is selected but it can be hard to see.

Unless you used the wrong eyedrop.

see, on mac, it’s apple’s material panel. the eyedrop at the bottom will capture a single pixel.
if you want the “normal sketchup eyedrop” it’s like on pc, paint bucket + command this time.

it’ll select the material in the material panel and surround it with a light grey-blue.

switch back to the pc version, or use an alternative material browser. in the preferences you can turn off the auto-summon of the official panel, meaning that you can then use a plugin as a replacement.

Thanks for your reply. On a PC, I don’t have to double click the material to edit. Only use the paintbuckeet + alt (eyedropper tool) as you mentioned. What alternative material browser do you recommend? I was not aware there exists other replacements for Mac.

I’m discovering some other faults with the color palette tool on Mac. I can’t restore the original material color like I can on PC. I’ve reached out directly to Trimble regarding the other issue. Seems like no one can really fix the issue here.

yeah, because this is a user forum.

and trimble can’t do anything because *read notes * the material panel is made by apple, it is a part of mac os X and sketchup is merely using it. You’ll have to wait for the mac version to be finally unified with the PC UI.

depends what you need and what you have access to. I have enscape, enscape has a material panel.
on both the extension warehouse and sketchucation there are plugins like this one

they don’t do 100% of what the native panel does. therefore, it depends on what you need.