Screw Threads

Is there an article about drawing screw threads? If I choose a diameter and pitch, what do I need to know to turn that into the geometry needed to represent the screw? That’s what I’d like to read in a how-to.

TIA

I use sources like Engineer’s Edge to get the dimensions for the desired screw threads.

Here’s a video that shows how I go about modeling them.

4 Likes

Dave, thank you for the info and the tutorial.

Think carefully about why you need to model the screw thread geometry.

If it is for 3D printing or a close up view of a single component you can make it as detailed as you like.

But if your threads are components in a larger model, it is very easy to bloat the geometry and cripple the overall model. Consider assigning a tag and turn it off, until you need to show the threads. Use as few segments per turn of the thread as will give you a ‘good enough’ appearance at the detail level you need to view.

Sometimes a 2D image of the thread made into a FaceMe component will give the appearance you need with a much lower impact on edge count and file size - if you need to see the detail of the threads at all.

If you do need to draw them in detail, consider using a plug-in to draw a helix, along with Eneroth Upright Extruder to prevent the thread profile twisting as it would using the native FollowMe tool.

1 Like

As I indicated in the video…

2 Likes

Thank you both for the responses.

SketchUp is a hobby for me. My models usually have no other purpose than to entertain and educate myself. The screw detail is, therefore, not important. I asked because I wanted to learn how drawing them might be accomplished.

Thank you again.

2 Likes