Screw Threads

Is there an article about drawing screw threads? If I choose a diameter and pitch, what do I need to know to turn that into the geometry needed to represent the screw? That’s what I’d like to read in a how-to.

TIA

I use sources like Engineer’s Edge to get the dimensions for the desired screw threads.

Here’s a video that shows how I go about modeling them.

6 Likes

Dave, thank you for the info and the tutorial.

Think carefully about why you need to model the screw thread geometry.

If it is for 3D printing or a close up view of a single component you can make it as detailed as you like.

But if your threads are components in a larger model, it is very easy to bloat the geometry and cripple the overall model. Consider assigning a tag and turn it off, until you need to show the threads. Use as few segments per turn of the thread as will give you a ‘good enough’ appearance at the detail level you need to view.

Sometimes a 2D image of the thread made into a FaceMe component will give the appearance you need with a much lower impact on edge count and file size - if you need to see the detail of the threads at all.

If you do need to draw them in detail, consider using a plug-in to draw a helix, along with Eneroth Upright Extruder to prevent the thread profile twisting as it would using the native FollowMe tool.

1 Like

As I indicated in the video…

2 Likes

Thank you both for the responses.

SketchUp is a hobby for me. My models usually have no other purpose than to entertain and educate myself. The screw detail is, therefore, not important. I asked because I wanted to learn how drawing them might be accomplished.

Thank you again.

3 Likes

I know this is an older post, but I am having some difficulty replicating this process. Everytime I do it, the bottom face fo teh thread does not fill in, it just has a frame with no face. I’ve tried using solid inspector to fix the resulting thread to no avail. I feel like I am missing something simple. Any thoughts?

I am not debating the fact that the threads are printable, I cannot repeatably create threads using the method you provided. I am having a problem with something in my application not creating one of the thread faces. I am not suggesting you have made in false statement, I am asking for suggestions as to what may be causing the error. Good for you being able to draw threads consistantly, gold star. How about some advise rather than snarky comments. Don’t get me wrong, I am all for people doing their own research and facilitating their own learning, but as you mentioned, I’ve been researching this and trying to find an answer since October.

1 Like

How about adding your model so we can see where the problem is.

Too small geometry.

1 Like

Dave,
I really appreciate you taking the time to make this excellent video on modeling screw threads. I followed along and completed the model of the M8x1 successfully.

I noticed you use the Cleanup3 extension a couple times in the process. Can you share a screen shot of the parameters settings you typically use ?
Are you using a keyboard shortcut to invoke this extension ?
I have installed Cleanup3, TIG’s Purge extension and Default Tag Geometry. It looks like some of these can perform similar functions. Which is preferred ?

zaz1

Good job on the screw threads.

Here are my normal settings for CleanUp3. I do use a keyboard shortcut to invoke it.

CleanUp3 can do what TIG’s plugins do and more. I usually use his when I am working on models by others because they give separate reports that are clear and easy to read. CleanUp3 can take a long time if I don’t reduce the number of things I’m having it do. My own models tend to stay clean but I am proactive at keeping them that way but I’ve seen models that have taken many hours to clean.

Thanks for showing the parameters. I am sure it will be a help.

For sure. That was a lesson learned from the video. I need to develop such good habits.
One approach for me to work is to use TIGs Purge for Tags, Materials, and Styles and CleanUp3 for cleaning geometry/edges.

Another useful part of your workflow was when you had copies of the threaded screws. You exploded the top one, then cut and pasted in place inside the existing bottom screw component. I have tried other methods like outer shell or explode both components. But than I have to ungroup and make component again. Your method is more efficient.

Outer Shell can be useful if you have solid objects and don’t mind a component being converted to a group (which I dislike) but it can take a long time to complete when there is a lot of geometry to look through as is the case with the screw threads. Faster to explode one component, cut and paste in place inside the other and delete the internal face.

You also modeled with units set to 1 meter and avoided any need to scale up to avoid tiny face issues. To use as an 8mm screw, now just one scale down by .001 is required. I know you have mentioned this is as an advantage for 3D printing, but is it another general workflow habbit for small hardware parts to model at 1m and scale down to smaller ?
For imperial do you use 1000 inches ?

The proud papa of a solid component. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

It depends on what I’m modeling and for what purpose. If I’m modeling hardware like drawer pulls or hinges I will usually use what has become known as the Dave Method. Box did a good tutorial on that. This method eliminates the need to scale down. If it’s for 3D printing I generally model in meters whether the printed thing is in millimeters or inches. For those things I don’t scale the thing down because the slicer for the 3D printer I have access to allows the user to define millimeters or inches when importing the .stl file. I just export the .stl from SketchUp using Meters as the units. Evidently not all slicer applications offer that capability, though.

If I do need to scale the model down after creating it, I use the Tape Measure tool so I don’t need to worry about figuring a scale factor. If I’m modeled the thing as 3 meters long and I want it to be 3 inches long, I just enter 3" and press Enter. It could also be done with the Scale tool and units, too.

Thank you Dave for all your responses. These tips are improving my 3D modeling.

1 Like

Love seeing a recreation of an 8 year old video :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Not knocking anyone else’s videos, just amazes me how many times this question gets asked :smiley: