Screw conveyor design

Hello all, I am pretty new to Sketch Up but really love using it. Having Sketch Up Pro Desktopn Version. I try to model a screw conveyor with a fixed pitch and diameter.

I managed to come up with a shaft and a spiral around it due to my needs. Everything fine. But now I am stuck since hours. I tried everything but not sure if I am following a wrong path.

A picture attached. My problem is how do I make the connection to the shaft in the middle (cylinder) to create some screw turns? Actual surfaces?

Please help I am lost;(

I would draw the section of the auger at one end of the helix and then use Upright Extruder (from the Extension Warehouse to extrude it up.You only need one helix, too.

2 Likes

Did you do what it says? You have to select the helix and the face you want to extrude before activating the tool.

I made it;)

But now it looks like this:

The surface is not connected to the shaft why?

Looks to me it’s because your profile for the auger isn’t long enough. Perhaps also the radius of your helix isn’t consistent. How did you draw the helix?

In mine the radius of the helix is constant all the way up. I made the shaft a component and drew the profile so it extends slightly inside the shaft.

You are right. I had to draw it to the middle;)

I made it:

The rendering looks a bit ugly. Why is it like this?

Thank you that was a great help

How thick did you make the auger? There are visible back faces probably because you made it too thin.

Also, turn off profile edges.

How to do that?

Turn off Profile edges? Edit the edge settings in the Styles panel.

If you spend some time at The Learning Center, you will learn how to use the tools to get what you want. (interactive tutorials) Also, go to The SketchUp YouTube Channel and pay attention to the Square One series. Both are sponsored by the SketchUp Crew and well worth the time spent there.