Scaling one group, scales other similar groups, unless I open then close the group I want to change

I have a row of 20 groups, which contain the same components.

When I scale group 1, it also scales groups 2-20. To be very clear, I am not editing a component - I am scaling a group.

If I double-click open group 1, then immediately close it again, it seems to resolve the issue. I can then scale group 1 without affecting groups 2-20. But it would be nice to figure out how to scale the group without having to open/close it.

The component I used is: https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/4c7521f6-549e-4b08-82a8-f4165a871c8f/greenscreen-Wall-Mounted-Trellis-4X8 It is made of multiple pieces which I have grouped, then copied 19 times.

I am using SU 2018 Pro.

1 Like

Don’t group them, put them in a component.

You’ve downloaded a dynamic component. If you put it in a group, then copy the group, you’ll get problems like this. The groups have a shared definition, like a component. The dynamic component is reading the values from the original copy instead of each instance.

If you put, say 20 of those components inside another component then edit one of those inside it, the others will not resize.

1 Like

A group is an instance of a component definition whose #group? flag is set true.

So, just like component instances, group instances do not “own” any entities, …it is their definition that “owns” the entities.

So, in the beginning after copying the first group instance, they ALL will be sharing the same nested component instances (of which you gave the 3DW link to.)

ADD: The major difference between groups and components is that group definitions are hidden from the Component Browser “In Model” definition collection. Authored components and DCs often have many nested groups [instead of nested component instances] so as not to clutter the Component Browser.

Because the user interface automatically does a group.make_unique on the double-clicked group instance, causing the shared group definition to be cloned so that the group under edit now has a unique definition, … the changing of which will not effect any other group instance. (Until of course, this new group is subsequently copied.)

From the SketchUp Ruby API documentation on the Sketchup::Group#make_unique() method:

The make_unique method is used to force a group to have a unique definition.

Copying a group using the copy tool in SketchUp will create copies of the group that share a common definition until an instance is edited manually or this method is used. If multiple copies are made, all copies share a definition until all copies are edited manually, or all copies have this method used on them. This method ensures that the group uses a unique definition entry in the drawing database.

This is the User Guide on Grouping Geometry …
https://help.sketchup.com/en/article/3000120
… but I do not find any mention of the make unique command.

2 Likes

I didn’t realize it was a DC. Thanks for your answer.

1 Like

DCs can be behave unexpectedly and be quite messy to work with. I made a plugin to purge them of their dynamic behavior to get normal components instead: https://extensions.sketchup.com/en/content/eneroth-de-dc-ify

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.