Save config in an .ini file

It would be really useful to have the chance of creating an .ini file (config file) to save all the folders locations, custom shortcuts, etc (just like SketchUp does). Having to define them from a scratch for every new fresh install it’s a real pain.

There is already a JSON file (2 files actually) for this. I think JSON is a more suitable format as it allows nesting, not just groups of key-value pairs.

On Windows the files are located at %appdata%\SketchUp\SketchUp 2019\SketchUp\SharedPreferences.json and %localappdata%\SketchUp\SketchUp 2019\SketchUp\PrivatePreferences.json (assuming SketchUp version is 2019).

1 Like

I’ve seen there’s a %localappdata%/…/LayOut/SharePreferences.json so I guess that’s the file to save, isn’t it? Thank you so much! :slight_smile:

Agreed. JSON is cross-platform whereas .ini is a Microsoft invention.

The file name is actually "layout.private.json".

2 Likes

That’s it, thank you so much! It works perfect for folders and shortcuts. Do you know if it also works for custom toolbars?

I think the toolbar and trays setups may be saved in XML files.

But they are in the "%AppData%/SketchUp/SketchUp 2019/LayOut" folder instead of the %LocalAppData% path.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.