Running Dimensions in Layout

I can’t promise anything about upcoming features, but this is a common feature request for LayOut and the team is definitely paying attention. How do you currently distinguish between running and non-running dimensions in your documents?

Thanks,
Marc

1 Like

We rarely do running dimensions on our documents currently, because of all the manual work to input them. but IF we do use them, then we just make sure to notate them as running dimensions. but the time that goes into adding up the dimensions or measuring actual model dimensions is not worth it. but having them does greatly increase the value of our documents for fabricators so i thought it would be a good feature request :slight_smile:

so thank you for looking at it at least. even if you cant promise anything

Evan

1 Like

Sigh, really wish you guys would add this feature. It would be a significant feature for my company. Allow us to set color, line weight and/or dashes to distinguish it from regular dimensions. A unique origin point would also be helpful.

Please add this feature. It would greatly benefit our process. Also, baseline dimensions would be HUGE!

Marc

Any updates on running dimensions in Layout? or do i need to just dive into the layout api and try to build it myself :wink:

Just want to get an update on whither or not it is still being looked at, i know my team is dying to have something like this feature available. what strings do i need to pull?

Like this?

same steps but cumulative dimensions

Dimensions like that are deceptive with the double arrow heads. I’d rather see this:

2 Likes

Years ago, when I detailed glulam beams and steel using pencil and vellum, we used a circle for the origin terminator and, as @DaveR shows above, arrow terminators in the direction of increasing distance. This CAN be done in LO, but it’s a super tedious PIA.

The correct term, I think, is ordinate dimensions.

1 Like

DaveR,
That’s what I call string line dimension, then do and overall at the end.
Can you do this kind of dimension in layout.
Thanks Zadach

My screen shots are from LayOut. The dimensions in my second screen shot were done with some manipulation. The Dimension tool doesn’t do it on its own.

DaveR,
I am talking about a string line dimension. Start at one point click the next and so on. Not going back and forth every time.
zadach

Do you mean as in the animated GIF I posted earlier?

DaveR,
I call that a string line dimension, but I can’t get layout to do that. A base line dimension is when the dimensions keep adding up. Please tell me how you get layout to do what you are showing.
Zadach

After I put in the first dimension, I double click on the next point and the dimension is placed automatically. Rinse and repeat.

Okay, I see double click on the next point. thanks Again. DaveR

I agree with the double arrowheads being deceptive, i was illustrating the cumulative values. to achieve this effectively in Layout you have to do some very tedious work. i’m looking for a future tool or modified dimension tool that has this functionality built in.

The feature request has been made so maybe it’ll happen in LayOut.

Yes it has, i think the idea is clear enough. i wonder if its possible to build this with the C API . . .