Rotation Tool stuck on 3 axis?

Got it !
:slight_smile: It’s a funny shape you made…
You just «misplaced» the bottom ones… because with this golden diamond, you can create a «sphere»…

Anyway, this is the final dome unit i’ve made many years ago (with a lot of trouble to glue those diamonds together).
Still didn’t find an easy way to rotate and snap them.

There should be a “snap” function in SketchUp with the LOCK of a point or an edge (serves as a hitch).

DOME EDEN 2009.skp (59.4 KB)

Got it !
:slight_smile: It’s a funny shape you made…

I didn’r create the model you received…I only changed it to an earlier version of SU so you could open it with your version.

It seems as though you have arrived at a working solution, so long as you use plastic sheeting as the exterior cover…but have you taken into account what issues may be seen when or if you decide to use a thicker material such as plywood, glass or other materials having thicker dimensions?

Exactly, that’s why my first model of 2009 was not satisfying (only flat diamonds put together).
I needed a model with framing.
But creating the frame with those odd angles, it’s not an easy task.

Sorry about saving in the current version which you couldn’t read, and thank you, @jvleearchitects for fixing that.

Please complete your profile, so we know what version you are running, and on what hardware and OS platform.

One of your earlier posts referred to ‘the ten diamonds make a wonderful dome’ and I doubled that up. I thought it looked odd, too! Not thinking straight late at night!

I’ll try and work out the geometry for the edges in 1x2 or 2x4 later today.

Well, here’s my result so far. It defines the two angles you need to set a table saw or circular saw to cut the framing pieces. You already know the relative lengths overall, so just adjust for the overlap at the joints. I’ve drawn them as butt joints, but you could make them half-lap, use long screws, or dowels, or biscuit joints to assemble the frames.

Clad them with fabric, transparent or translucent sheet plastic, trimmed to fit the frames and bevelled (if possible) to extend the bevel at the sides of the frames, and you should get a near-perfect fit.

Here’s the assembled frame:

And here’s the mode (saved as SU 2014 so more people can open it):
Diamond dome v2014.skp (169.3 KB)

Happy building, and thanks for an interesting challenge to draw.

1 Like

You did a great job. Thank you for your effort.
But, you should have take a better look on my previous image (post starting by “I’VE SUCCEEDED”.
For an easy assembly of the diamonds, the framing should be “vertical”, not flat like in your model.
It would be really to much job to bevel all the pieces of wood !!!
That what I was meaning with the “angles” of cut. The top of the jointed edges is not flat since the 1x2 are flipped (20.8°).
And your jointing of the pieces of wood to form the diamond would take to much nails or screws.
This is what i did so far yesterday. But like I said, there is a small gap between some diamonds that I desperately trying to fix.

copula 7 2016 angles.skp (96.1 KB)

@angeleden, the current release of SketchUp 2015 (for Mac) is version 15.3.329

Get the latest release here:

Ok, I fixed the little gap. Now, I have to add 5 “horizontal” diamonds… and I still can’t visualise how it is possible with the Rotating-Copy Tool.

copula 8 2016 angles.skp (102.2 KB)

Oups ! no, the gap is worse at the other edge…

Ok, I start over again… i’ve add 2 zeros to the Precision (decimal feet). I think the gap came for this slit impression of 2 digits precision…

I haven’t read the thread properly so I may be way off, but here is my quick pub doodle where the whole thing is made from one component.

Diamond ball.skp (103.0 KB)

Why not use a pentagonal plug at that apex? It would simplify the joinery greatly.

Shep

Box, what you did is incredible… You blow my mind !
I would really want to learn how to do all those positioning and rotations…

Ok, you used 1" x 2", but you skip the length of the sides that must be 4.472 ft.
I don’t know if you can just change one component to fit the size.
So, the diamond should fit in a golden rectangle of 4.702’ x 7.608’.

You’re kidding me right ? Really ? « quick » !!! It takes me an hour to join only 3 diamonds…

Maybe you should change to a down under pub :wink:

1 Like

Dan, I’ve got the 2015 version… there’s now a Mac 2016…

Sorry got distracted for a bit. Is this what you want?
Diamond to size.skp (70.7 KB)

Here’s an alternative and probably stronger method of construction.

I made my diamonds 1m across the short dimension, but the critical things are the joint angles (which you have already calculated) and the angle to bevel the edges.

See how this might do:

Diamond dome v2014.skp (187.8 KB)

it looks like this (made of material approximately 2x4):

And the critical angles for making the frames:

Bevel the sides at 18.1 degrees or therabouts, and you have the corner angles already.

BOX, you a genius ! The 10 diamonds’ dome rest on a decagon cylinder (10 sides).
The odd measurements for the diamonds are to fit perfectly the base made of 10 walls of regular construction size 4’ x 8’.
I’ve add your dome to my fast construction… It fit !
My idea was the small version… but I realise seing your diamond sphere that I could make the roof higher with more diamonds !
There is a gap because I didn’t place the upper plank of the triangle (don’t know how to do it… since it has to be angled…
Now, I have to check all your angles…
Still, i would like to learn how you did that diamond sphere… Do you give some trainings ???

edendome_box_dome.skp (164.3 KB)

It may simplify the joinery, but complicate a lot the construction… The idea is to use the less parts as possible. The roof made of 10 identical diamonds that can be joined together very easily by one person.